What if the government actually tested a product that worked to kill viruses in the SARS and Coronavirus family and you weren't told about it? How would that sit with you? What if we got our hands on a document released under the Freedom of Information Act produced on the letterhead of Homeland Security that recommended a product be added to the national Push-pack stockpile in order to increase the safety and functionality of healthcare facilities in the event of a bio-terror attack or infectious disease outbreak. And that product was proven to kill Anthrax, Bubonic Plague, Hospital Staph, and SARS. And why haven't they tested it on COVID-19? Or are they? Forget hand sanitizers when it comes to protection.
Dr. Charles Bens joins me today on TotalHealth TV to talk about this technology and other things you can do to not just protect yourself and your family from the coronavirus but prevent colds and flu. The show is just under an hour. In addition to our main story we also cover cancer, vaccine support for parents who are forced to vaccinate their children, Alzheimer's, and much more.
Enjoy this edition of TotalHealth Magazine. When I told American Biotech Labs LLC I was going to do this story they immediately offered us a fantastic discount* on all of their products. The discount code is totalhealth25 at:
*TotalHealth Magazine nor TWIP receive any compensation for products purchased with the discount code. It is an unsolicited offer by the manufacturer to make sure more people can afford their products for protection.
To learn more about Dr. Charles Bens work visit his website:
Here links to safety studies published on the Silver Biotics products. To my knowledge safety studies have not been done on any other silver product.
Internal Ingestion Study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=23811290
P450 Drug Interaction Study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=25137296
No Platelet Aggregation Study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=23517080
Keep in mind the FDA has also approved SilvrStat for physicians. It is a stronger version of the over-the-counter versions of Silver Biotics products.Further information:
Excerpted from Swine Flu Influenza Type A/H1N1 Protection for Health Care Practitioners and Their Patients By Gordon Pedersen PhD
The Following Are Proven To Destroy the Influenza Virus (CDC, 2009)
- 70% ethanol
- Oxidizing agents
- Quaternary amonium compounds
- Inactivated by heat (133°) for 60 minutes
- pH less than 2 (very acidic)
- Silver Sol (liquid and gel)
Topical Disinfectants: Topical disinfectants are recommended by the CDC for use between each patient and can kill germs for 4-6 hours. Patients and health care professionals should use these 4 times a day or as needed. SilverSol gel demonstrates effectiveness against some of the worst pathogens including: MRSA, VRE, Strep, and the other bacteria that cause pneumonia.
SilverSol: Prescription drugs and vaccines treat and help prevent viral infection and disease but are not capable of totally controlling a dangerous new or novel virus (1). Nutritional supplements such as Vitamins, Minerals, Echinacea, Ginseng, Probiotics and many others have the ability to help boost immune function and improve natural defenses which results in some defense against disease causing viruses and the associated secondary infections.
SilverSol provides proven prevention and treatment against viral and bacterial infections, while there is nothing else with such broad spectrum benefits (2). In addition, SilverSol can be safely taken every day for prevention where it has been shown to provide protection against the very dangerous Bird flu H5N1. The combination of antibiotics with Silver Sol has been shown to enhance antibiotic function by as much as ten fold due to the fact that SilverSol kills the residual pathogens that the antibiotics cannot (2). Results of the combination of 19 different prescription antibiotics and silver sol demonstrate safe additive and/or synergistic benefits across 7 different pathogenic strains (Staphyloccocus, MRSA, E coli, Pseudomonas arugenosa, Salmonella and Streptococcus). The results of this combination therapy result in significant pathogenic destruction while helping to reduce bacterial resistance (2). This can be attributed to the fact that SilverSol does not produce resistance, nor does it destroy the beneficial intestinal probiotic bacteria (2).
- Thompson WW, Shay DC, Weintraub E, Brammer L, Cox N, et al. Mortality associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus in the United States. JAMA. 2003;289:179–186.
- De Souza. A., Mehta, D, Bactericidal activity of Combinations of Silver-Water Dispersion with 19 Antibiotics Against Seven Microbial Strains. Current Science, Vol 91, No 7, October 2006.
This is an amazing health solution for millions of people. Learn about the very first iron-free solution for iron deficiency and high ferritin. Dr. Sherrill Sellman introduces us to IronCatch which helps us to properly absorb iron from the food we eat just as nature intended. IRON CATCH is a food supplement with a patented formulation that elevates the Iron absorption from food 3-5 times more than regular. IRON CATCH increases iron absorption from your everyday food, naturally, with no adverse reactions.
Read Dr. Sherrill Sellman's article "IronCatch: The First Iron-Free Solution for Iron Deficiency" in TotalHealth MagazineGo to the IronCatch website for more information or to order.
Join John as he learns about Saberation, a new and unique gym offering a fun way to get in great shape. Saberation founder, Edward Armstrong, takes us inside his gym to explain why people are having so much fun getting in shape. Saberation offers online training for personal trainers who would like to bring this fitness program to their local gym or complete franchises. May the force be with you.
John and Dr. Sellman delve into the roots and risks of high blood pressure and how you can bring it down yourself with diet, lifestyle, supplement, and fitness changes. There is also a new formula on the market that is helping people reduce their high blood pressure by as much as 90 points. Now you have a way to help reduce your blood pressure in order to reduce or even eliminate medications.
Ross Pelton, R.Ph., CCN author of The Pill Problem delves into the history of hormone based birth control, spermicides, and much more as we explore the long list of debilitating side effects which even include death. Of course we do offer information on a new, exciting, safe, and effective contraceptive that has been on the market now for over 3 and a half years with no reported pregnancies. If you would like to try Smart Women's Choice yourself you can get free shipping and handling and a 10% discount if you use the coupon code NOPILL when checking out at Smart Women's Choice.
Nature has given us a profound gift for our health. It is found in an amazing, very small one-cell green algae, called Chlorella. This unique form of algae has been a source of incredible nutrition for humans as well as animals. What makes chlorella even more special is its ability to detox the myriad of chemical and heavy metals found in our environment and bodies. Chlorella has an amazing ability to safely remove all forms of toxicity from our body.
The story of chlorella goes back a long, long time. It is estimated that it appeared on earth two billion years ago. Chlorella belongs to the first unicellular organisms from this time. This microscopic green algae is a true survivor!
How has this simple plant managed to survive all these billions of years? Equipped with an especially strong multi-layer cell wall, Chlorella has protected itself against life threatening environmental conditions and has consequently developed an extremely efficient behaviour pattern. Drought, radiation, highly concentrated poisons such as heavy metals, pesticides and other organic solvents have not managed to drive Chlorella to extinction. On the contrary, it has constantly developed new survival strategies allowing it to thrive.
The mid 1970s, the Japanese scientists were the first to develop a process that allowed the nutrient content of Chlorella to be readily available for human consumption. It is estimated that more than ten million Japanese now eat chlorella daily for both their nutritional and therapeutic needs.
The popularity of Chlorella has no doubt played a major role in Japanese longevity. Japanese life expectancy is the world’s highest, at 87 years for women and 81 years for men. The average lifespan of the Japanese is the highest it has ever been, and they keep getting older! In 2019, the number of Japanese aged 90 reached 2.31 million, including over 71,000 centenarians. It’s easy to understand why the daily consumption of Chlorella is one of the dietary secrets that insures long life for so many Japanese people.
A Powerhouse of Nutrition
What is it about this small unicellular green algae that makes it a powerhouse for health? For one thing, it is recognized as one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. It is not an exaggeration to say that Chlorella (C.vulgaris) is nature’s own multivitamin. That’s because Chlorella contains all the essential nutrients needed to sustain life and much more.
Chlorella is rich in vitamins A (beta carotene), C, E, and vitamin K, containing all the B-complex vitamins (including B12), zinc, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, selenium, iodine, omega-3 essential fatty acid, and the enzyme pepsin. Chlorella also contains 58 to 70 percent of bio-available protein and all the essential amino acids. It is one of the few foods that naturally contain vitamin-D. In addition, it has more beta-carotene than carrots and more than five times more chlorophyll than wheatgrass. The iron content of chlorella is particularly impressive and can provide up to 40 per cent of your daily requirements.
Chlorella is also a rich source of the carotenoids, lutein and zeathanthin. They are known as the "eye vitamins" helping to safeguard the eye's macula by protecting it from damaging blue light (emitted from artificial lighting and digital devices). Studies have shown that both lutein and zeaxanthin can protect against age-related macular degeneration, eye strain and fatigue, cataracts, and even help to prevent vision loss and blindness.
The Chlorella Growth Factor
Chlorella Growth Factor (CGF) is a unique complex found in the cell nucleus of chlorella. CGF is produced during intense photosynthesis which allows chlorella to grow so rapidly. Each cell multiplies into two new cells about every 20 hours, and the CGF promotes this rapid rate of reproduction. CGF is a complex combination of key nutrients including amino acids, vitamins, essential fats and more.
Experiments show that CGF promotes faster growth without undesirable side effects. It improves RNA/DNA functions that are responsible for the production of proteins, enzymes and energy at the cellular level, stimulating tissue repair and protecting cells from certain toxic substances.
Chlorella is the ultimate anti-ageing nutrition for our DNA. When eaten regularly, chlorella can assist in the repair of damaged genetic material, protecting our health and slowing down the aging process.
Proven Benefits of Chlorella Growth Factor:
- Promotes rapid growth, strengthens the immune system and promotes rapid tissue healing.
- Stimulates the immune system: CGF stimulates the production of interferon and protects T and B lymphocytes which are the body’s front line against infections. Increasing resistance to disease
- Purifying, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties — thanks to the high concentrations of chlorophyll present in the CGF
- Glutathione, present in CGF, has the ability to bind to heavy metals, solvents and pesticides and convert them into a form that can be excreted in urine or bile. It is also a powerful antioxidant that helps fight harmful free radicals in the body, and helps in detoxification. Glutathione helps to eliminate toxins from the liver.
- Prebiotic Function – CGF stimulates the growth of good bacteria and supports the digestive system. It regulates the intestinal flora. A Japanese study showed that due to its "rich supply of prebiotic food, chlorella can actually triple the rate of growth of good bacteria in the gut."
- Beneficial in the prevention of allergic diseases and prevents casein allergy, a major cause of milk allergy.
- Resistance and endurance: true energy concentrate very useful for athletes
- Tissue repair — through their growth and life activating properties, CGF nucleic acids stimulate tissue regeneration and repair of damaged tissue without causing uncontrolled cell proliferation in the form of malignant tumors.
- Helps prevent high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease by controlling blood sugar and reducing high cholesterol
A Heavy Weight in the World of Detoxing
One of chlorella’s most significant health benefits is that it wraps itself around even the most stubborn toxins in our bodies such as cadmium, lead, mercury and uranium. More importantly, it not only safely eliminates all these dangerous toxins from the body but also prevents them from being reabsorbed. In our toxic world, it is imperative in order to optimize health and healing to safely remove all forms of toxins. By taking chlorella daily, we are able to safely and effectively detoxify the harmful heavy metals and the many chemicals we are exposed to on a daily basis.
One study showed that routine chlorella intake decreases the chance of heavy metal poisoning in the bloodstream. It also helps to reduce the risk of muscular and bone damage due to elevated levels of cadmium in the body. The study concluded that "chlorella is an appropriate source which counteracts heavy metal poisoning, to decrease the damage of tissues by decreasing cadmium absorption."1
Supplementing with chlorella has shown promising results in alleviating some of the adverse effects of radiation therapy on the body and even helping to eliminate radioactive particles. But perhaps more impressive than its ability to chelate and flush out radioactive toxins is chlorella's ability to actually protect from radiation.
Glyphosate is the main ingredient in the weed-killer Roundup® and is the most widely used chemical herbicide in history. Chances are, this chemical is in at least some of the food you’ll eat today, even if that food is organic, non-GMO, and ‘natural’. The good news is that Chlorella’s detoxing power helps to bind to glyphosate in the GI track so it can be safely eliminated.
Chlorella has been reported to be helpful for various health problems such as hypertension, arteriosclerosis, high cholesterol, cardiac problems, constipation, bowel toxicity, dermatitis, allergies, arthritis, diabetes mellitus, fibromyalgia, Epstein- Barr virus infection, candidiasis and others. Besides that, it has also been found to enhance the ability of the immune system, slow down the ageing process, stimulate growth, reduce the risk of cancer, enhance the healing process, rejuvenate and vitalize the body.
The Secret of Biogenesis’ Chlorella’s Power
Like so many nutritional products, the real benefits are only available when you know more about how and where the product was grown and processed. The nutrition and therapeutic power of Chlorella is only fully available when it is grown in pristine conditions, processed and packaged correctly. One more critical factor is the integrity of the company.
Biogenesis Chlorella company ticks all those boxes.
Biogenesis is 100 percent Australian owned and operated. In fact, it is the only ‘Australian Made, Australian Grown’ licensed producer of Chlorella. From its farm in tropical Queensland, right through to packing and distribution, its products are grown and processed in Australia to the highest quality standard. Unlike many other Chlorella farms, the pristine water and abundant sunlight of Biogenesis’ Chlorella tropical Queensland farm, insures the purest and most nutrient dense algae product available any where in the world.
Biogenesis is committed to growing and harvesting their ingredients with as little impact on the environment as possible. All their products are free from herbicides, pesticides and environmental contaminants. Biogenesis also uses sustainable farming practices and never tests on animals.
BioGenesis has developed an innovative cell cracking technology.
Chlorella consists of a hard outer shell that protects the nutrients within the Chlorella molecule. It has been found that cracking the cell wall enables the nutrients to be more readily absorbed during digestion. Many Chlorella companies use a grinding or pulverizing process to achieve this. However, this may destroy the Chlorella cell and leave the nutrients susceptible to oxidation and nutritional losses.
The Biogenesis Biodynamic System utilizes a combination of vacuum and ultrasonic technology that enables the nutrients of the cell to be made available without the risk of oxidation or nutritional losses. This means that Biogenesis Chlorella is able to deliver its powerhouse of all its nutrients efficiently to every cell in your body.
The Unique Biogenesis Growth System
Marine algae grows naturally in oceans and flowing river systems. Water movement is critical to algae growth, ensuring that they receive sufficient sunlight, air and nutrients as they flow. Conventional algae growth systems use large mechanical paddle wheel type systems, to physically push the water around oval shaped “racetrack” type ponds, or alternatively the algae is grown in industrial Bioreactor type internal systems, often using sugars to replace natural sunlight.
BioGenesis has developed a unique and innovative growth system that replicates the natural water flow of a river, using water pressure as the motion force. This is the same as in nature where water flows down from mountains and pushes water across river plains to the ocean. The BioGenesis system uses narrow maze-type channels to replicate a river, flowing the water back to the start of the maze for each circuit. This enables algae to grow to the highest quality-standard, exactly as nature intended.
Chlorella - Natures Gift for Radiant Health
Chlorella is a true gift from nature. Modern technology has been able to unlock Chlorella’s phenomenal potential as a super food as well as a solution which allows us to thrive and heal in a toxic and polluted world.
Chlorella is not only super nutrition for human. Our dogs and cats also benefit when their diet includes a daily amount of Chlorella! In fact, our pets absolutely love having Chlorella in their food.
Chlorella is especially important for those who are following a vegan or vegetarian diet. Its comprehensive nutrient profile, especially B12, iron, omega-3 and a complete protein guarantees that key nutrients are available for health and energy.
There is no doubt, that Chlorella should be a part of everyone’s diet. Biogenesis is a company devoted to bringing you not only the purest but also most nutrient dense Chlorella for your wellbeing, detoxification, healing and beauty.
When you look in the mirror what do you see? Do you see a radiant reflection of a youthful complexion, or do you see the appearance of those telltale signs of aging? Truth be told, no matter your age, we all desire to maintain the most youthful appearance possible. Is this just wishful thinking, or is there really a fountain of youth for your skin? It is well known that your skin is an incredible organ with an immense ability to repair and rejuvenate itself when you know the secrets to ageless beauty. And the good news is that recent discoveries promise to help women of all ages regain that youthful glow!
Overcoming 21st Century Challenges for Your Skin
Unfortunately, our modern world and stressful lifestyles are not particularly kind to our skin. As French fashion designer Coco Chanel once said, “Nature gives you the face you have at 20; it is up to you to merit the face you have at 50.”
Some of the more harmful choices that significantly impact your skin’s ability to heal and rejuvenate include sugar-laden, processed foods, stress, lack of sleep, sun damage, exposure to air pollution and toxic chemicals, smoking, and alcohol. These are the many thieves that slowly steal your youthful appearance and create unwanted changes to your skin, such as texture and color change, as well as wrinkle formation, etc.
And you really can’t blame your genes as the cause of your aging! It is now estimated that only 10–15 percent of visible aging is directly related to genetics. That means that you have powerful control over your health destiny. Simply put, making healthy choices determines how gracefully you age.
The Three Aging Villains: Inflammation, Free Radicals and Dehydration
What are the telltale signs that your skin is aging prematurely? Some of the important clues are the presence of fine lines and wrinkles, increased pigmentation, age spots, dull-looking skin, and the loss of elasticity and firmness.
In order to regain healthy skin, you first need to know about the three key villains that sabotage your youthful glow and accelerate the aging process. Those villains are chronic inflammation, harmful free radicals and cellular dehydration!
Let’s start with understanding just how chronic inflammation is an aging villain. Inflammation is an immune response that occurs when tissues have been injured or abnormally stimulated. However, when there is an unrelenting barrage of harmful factors, the fires of inflammation get out of control.
The process of continuous low-intensity inflammation, while invisible, will not only damage your skin, but also lead to the inevitable signs of aging. It can accelerate fine lines, wrinkles and enlarged pores, as well as puffiness, sagging, blotchiness or reddening of the skin.
The second villain of aging is the production of free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that not only cause damage to your cells and DNA but also weaken living cells and tissues. Excessive free radicals affect your skin’s structural layers and defensive barriers (e.g., collagen and lipids). Skin damage done by free radicals may appear in several ways: premature wrinkles, unwanted pigmentation, uneven skin tone, and lackluster skin. Over time, the effects of free radical damage become even more noticeable.
The third aging villain is cellular dehydration. One of the main characteristics of youthful skin is the ability to naturally retain cellular hydration. As you age, it becomes more difficult for your cells to retain moisture. Cellular dehydration is exacerbated not only by the lack of adequate water intake but also by chronic stress, toxins and the aging process itself. The most common indications of dehydration include dryness, flakiness, roughness, irritation, and cracking. These symptoms all add up to the look of prematurely aged skin.
So, what is the best solution for combating these three villains of aging skin? First of all, eliminate pro-inflammatory foods like sugar, fast foods and alcohol. Then do your best to reduce exposure to environmental toxins and stress. When it comes to protecting your skin from these villains, always use the purest ingredients, as well as proven skincare products for your daily beauty ritual!
The Three Heroines of Skin Rejuvenation
In order to stop the destructive process of inflammation, a powerful, yet safe, anti-inflammatory solution is needed. Enter an advanced nano-silver technology from SilverCeuticals, one of the most effective solutions to safely repair and protect the skin from the damaging effects of inflammation.
For thousands of years, silver solutions have been used for healing. Thanks to SilverCeuticals, a more powerful form of silver is now available. Why is this nano-silver so important for youthful skin? It gently and safely promotes natural skin healing by rapidly reducing the signs of inflammation, redness, blemishes, and the appearance of scars. It not only accelerates wound healing but also promotes stem cell release and activation. Nano-silver also protects against pathogens, and doubles as a natural preservative to keep the product clean and prevent the need for harsh chemicals.
The second important heroine is Hyaluronic Acid (HA), the most powerful molecule found in nature for enhancing cellular hydration and plumping up dehydrated cells. Because HA has the unique ability to attract and retain more than 1000 times its weight in water, it is a real superstar when it comes to rejuvenation. It is also phenomenal at penetrating deeply into the skin's layers where it enhances tissue repair and protection. Another important feature of HA is its ability to transport essential nutrients from the blood directly to skin cells. It is also a powerful, natural antioxidant that protects the skin from free radical damage caused by the sun's UV rays.
Simply put, Hyaluronic Acid provides numerous benefits:
- Antioxidant protection
- Diminishes fine lines and wrinkles
- Curbs premature wrinkling
- Increases skin hydration
- Locks in moisture
- Boosts skin elasticity
- Enhances collagen production
- Nourishes skin cell growth
The third amazing heroine in the fight against premature aging skin is collagen. Collagen plays an essential role in helping to retain the skin’s elasticity, to generate healthy skin cells, and to increase hydration. However, most collagen supplements are not effective because they are difficult for the body to digest and absorb. It its natural state, collagen is too large and too tightly bound to itself for the body to it break down effectively. The good news is that there is a new absorbable form of collagen, known as collagen peptides. These are shorter chains of amino acids, making them small enough to be quickly absorbed into the skin and readily available for repair work.
An innovative process called sonication uses sound frequencies to break up the large chains into smaller chains, creating a super-absorbable form of nano-collagen peptides. Studies show that topical treatments of collagen peptides significantly improve the skin’s hydration and elasticity, even with minimal use.
The Revolutionary SilverCeuticals Facial Serum for Re-Vitalizing Aging Skin
A truly effective skincare product needs to help regenerate healthy new skin cells, while protecting against the three most age-ravaging villains: inflammation, free radicals, and dehydration.
In the search for a truly effective anti-aging solution, SilverCeuticals formulated the ultimate in skin rejuvenation. They combined their advanced nano-silver technology with a powerful hyaluronic acid complex. This special combination ensures that the HA is able to reach even the deepest layers of the skin, while providing hours of intense cellular hydration and softness. The addition of the sonicated nano-collagen peptides completes this beautiful age-defying trifecta.
There is one last critical component of a skincare product. You want one that contains only natural and non-toxic ingredients. That's why SilverCeuticals Facial Serum is the purest skincare product available. It is formulated without harmful parabens, biphenyl A (BPA), phthalates, sulfates, alcohol, harsh preservatives or synthetic colors, which are commonly found in many other skincare products. The result is a totally pure skincare formula that promises a truly rejuvenated you - diminished wrinkles and fine lines, well-hydrated skin, greater skin firmness and reduced skin discoloration.
For achieving the best results, it is recommended to apply SilverCeuticals Facial Serum twice a day - morning and night. It rapidly absorbs into the skin with a light texture which is deeply penetrating. It is so gentle that it is safe for all skin types, even the most sensitive skin.
Accolades for SilverCeuticals Facial Serum
Dr. Andrew Willoughby, DMD, LVI, FAGD, FICCMO is no ordinary dentist. He holds two Postgraduate Fellowships in Neuromuscular Dentistry, is the named Inventor of 5 U.S. Patents and has extensive training in the treatment of Cranio-Mandibular Dysfunction and Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Snoring. He practices the state-of-the-art reconstructive, cosmetic, implant and physiologic-based Dentistry. In addition to being an inventor/patent holder, Dr. Willoughby is also an author, Clinical Researcher and Regulatory Consultant in B.C, Canada.
Dr. Willoughby is always searching for the most effective and innovative solutions for his patients. His research with SilverCeuticals Facial Serum demonstrated compelling results. “I have been performing human clinical trials with a proprietary Nano-Silver/HA based serum complex with Hydrolyzed Collagen peptides (nano-collagen). This extraordinary serum has led to a noticeable reduction in inflammation and scar tissue formation. The ability of this Nano-Silver serum to promote natural healing of the skin is unequivocal”. Dr. Willoughby’s independent research validated the exceptional healing and regenerative benefits of SilverCeuticals Facial Serum.
“I first started using a product that retails for hundreds of dollars. I liked how it initially felt on my skin, but the feeling didn’t last and left my face feeling dry. After using it for a few weeks, I received a sample of SilverCeuticals Facial Serum. I liked it much better than what I had been using. It felt smoother on my skin and I still felt the effects even at the end of the day. My face feels hydrated and the fine lines are disappearing. What was most surprising was the price difference. I get so much more out of the SilverCeuticals Facial Serum even though it was so much less expensive.”
“I absolutely love this SilverCeuticals serum! I have a modest social media following, and am often asked by cosmetic companies to test and review their products, but this serum is my go-to. It soothes my sensitive skin, and has clean ingredients which is very important to me. It tightens and leaves my skin feeling soft and hydrated all day. It literally works wonders. I use it before I put on my makeup, and as a night serum as well.”
An Invitation to More Radiant, Youthful Skin
Turning back the aging process is no longer just wishful thinking. The promise of a more youthful appearance is now a reality. The revolutionary formula of SilverCeuticals Facial Serum with the advanced nano-silver technology, the super hydrating Hyaluronic Acid complex, and the sonicated nano-collagen peptides makes it possible to gently renew, repair, rehydrate, and regenerate the skin at the deepest levels. You really can’t find a more exceptional and unique skincare serum anywhere. No matter what your age, with the addition of SilverCeuticals Facial Serum to your daily beauty ritual, even Coco Channel could now agree that we can now all truly merit beautiful, glowing and youthful skin at any age!
- Silver Sol Improves Wound Healing: Case Studies in the Use of Silver Sol in Closing Wounds (Including MRSA), Preventing Infection, Inflammation and Activating Stem Cells, Gordon Pedersen Ph.D. and Keith Moeller https://totalhealthmagazine.com/Studies/Pedersen-Silver-Sol-Wound-Healing-MRSA.pdf.
- A Unique Silver Sol with broad antimicrobial properties. Antimicrobial, Vol, 3, No 11, April 2011 https://www.scribd.com/document/68258370/A-Unique-Silver-Sol-with-Broad-Antimicrobial-Properties
- Hyaluronic Acid showed promising efficacy in skin tightness and elasticity, face rejuvenation, improving aesthetic scores, reducing the wrinkle scars, longevity, and tear trough rejuvenation. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30287361/
- Topical treatment with low molecular weight Hyaluronic Acid leads to significant reduction of wrinkle depth. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22052267/
- Significant benefit in decreasing the depth of wrinkles (up to 40%), and skin hydration (up to 96%) and skin firmness and elasticity were significantly enhanced (up to 55%) at the end of eight weeks. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3970829/
- Hyaluronic acid, a promising skin rejuvenating biomedicine: A review of recent updates and pre-clinical and clinical investigations on cosmetic and nutricosmetic effect. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018 Dec; 120(Pt B):1682–95. doi: 10.1016/j ijbiomac.2018.09.188. Epub 2018 Oct 1.
- Topical use of hydrolyzed collagen showed a significant increase in the stratum corneum (outermost layer of skin) water content and skin elasticity after 28-day period and also acted in the dermis echogenicity after 90 days. https://pubm ed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30834689/
For the last billion years or so life on planet Earth has evolved with remarkable diversity, filling every niche, even those that seem unlivable. Included within this diversity of life are creatures that are essentially immortal, for example, the hydra, a fresh-water polyp that can live as long as 1400 years1. Even more incredible is an immortal jellyfish2 (Turritopsis dohrnii) that potentially, has been alive for the last 65 million years! If they had a memory, they could tell us what wiped the dinosaurs out! Recently, researchers re-animated a Bdelloid rotifer, a tiny animal that had been frozen in the Siberian permafrost for more than 24,000 years3.
Yet, for mammals, lifespan is much shorter. Human beings have a potential lifespan of more than 120 years4 which is much shorter than the amazing animals mentioned above but is still remarkable when others, like the common mouse gets only three years5. This hardly seems fair to the humble house mouse when its distant relative, the naked mole rat gets closer to 30 years6.
Can we change the speed we age?
The deeper you look the clearer it becomes that just like the diversity of life there is a diversity of longevity. And with that realization researchers have rushed to investigate the difference between short and long-lived species to identify and perhaps even develop interventions translating the lessons we learn from research and harnessing them to prolong the years we spend youthful and healthy on this planet.
In 2013 scientists published a paper called the Hallmarks of Aging in a research journal called Cell7. This paper identified nine hallmarks or causes of aging that ranged from DNA damage to mitochondrial dysfunction to cellular senescence. Each hallmark qualified as being involved in aging by the results of laboratory experiments. If you made a hallmark worse, it accelerated the aging process and if you protected it, you slowed down the aging process. This paper was important because it gave researchers targets to investigate to see if they could impact aging, and in so doing, they unleashed a phenomenal level of research to find compounds that positively affect each hallmark. And the size of the prize is huge. When a company solves the question of slowing the aging process, it will disrupt a trillion-dollar industry and give birth to a brand new one overnight.
Measuring the speed at which we age
Recently researchers have discovered that we have a biological clock that sits on our DNA with time being recorded by the number of methyl groups attached to our DNA8. Using machine learning they identified patterns of methylation that are closely correlated with our chronological age. And in the process discovered that different people age at different speeds not just outwardly but on the inside as well, and measurably so by looking at their DNA methylation patterns. Of course, we already knew that people age at different rates because we see some people fit and healthy into the 10th decade whereas some are not so lucky and seem to get the diseases of old age as early as their 5th decade. But to have a simple test to confirm this and allow people to assess the age their cells are acting compared to their chronological age is an incredible breakthrough.
What is exciting is that your biological age does not need to be your destiny and can be changed. If you have turned 50 and your DNA methylation is at a level that is usually seen with someone in their 70s then by making lifestyle changes like exercise and diet and taking new supplements you can bring your biological age into line with your chronological age. And perhaps even more exciting is that if your results are similar you can take the same actions to slow down your biological aging. It is entirely possible in your chronological 50s or 60s that you could celebrate your 40th or 30th decade again! And it is available to everyone, today, right now with simple actions.
Moving from luck to strategy in aging
For the first time in human history we are about to take the luck out of getting old with health and vitality and make healthy aging with an extended healthspan accessible to us all. In my book, "Harnessing the Nine Hallmarks of Aging," I have distilled the very latest in research and created a lifelong healthy aging plan for people who want to age better and arrive at a more mature age with more health and vitality than any previous generation of humans have obtained. I describe specific strategies for those who are in their 30s, 40s, 50s and beyond and share breakthroughs in our understanding of what molecules and supplements can impact and slow the aging process.
For example, molecules like Hobamine (2-HOBA)9, an extract from Himalayan Tartary Buckwheat, has recently been isolated and shows incredible potential to slow the aging process by protecting our delicate DNA and other cellular components and machinery from the damage associated with oxidative stress throughout our lifetime. Also, NAD, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, is an important co-enzyme that fuels our mitochondria and our cellular repair and maintenance mechanisms. NAD levels decline in our cells as we age, so by restoring this vital co-enzyme via supplements like NMN10 (nicotinamide mononucleotide) researchers have seen changes in our cells that are associated with levels of health seen in cells that are considerably younger.Fisetin11, a compound derived from strawberries and other fruits, has the ability to reduce the burden of senescent cells in the body. Senescent cells are cells that have reached the end of their useful life. In younger animals these cells are removed by our immune system, however as we get older our immune system is not as effective in clearing these cells out. The very signals senescent cells send out to communicate they need to be removed from our bodies then start to accumulate leading to an increasingly inflammatory state that has a significant effect on the health of the rest of the cells in our body. Recently, researchers have discovered that by taking fisetin you can help your body remove these unwelcomed zombie-like cells and by doing so you can experience major health benefits. In mouse models, fisetin can increase lifespan by as much as 36%. In another study12, older mice pretreated with fisetin and then exposed to a similar virus to COVID respond to the virus in a way that is more like younger mice suggesting that the reason older humans are so affected by COVID is related to the burden of senescent cells in their bodies. The Mayo Clinic now has clinical research underway to see if the benefit the mice experienced will be replicated in humans13.
In the future, there will be significant advances in our ability to slow the aging process beyond what we have available to us today. For now however, adopting the strategies outlined in "Harnessing the Nine Hallmarks of Aging" will help you slow the speed of aging that your cells experience, and with this you are taking affirmative action to delay the diseases associated with old age. The sooner you start the better shape your cells will be in and this will be reflected in how you feel, how you look and increase your healthspan - the amount of time you spend in your body while experiencing amazing health.References
- This Tiny Animal Can Live an Estimated 1,400 Years - Scientific American
- Science of the immortal jellyfish, Earth's longest living animal - Science Focus
- A living bdelloid rotifer from 24,000-year-old Arctic permafrost - ScienceDirect
- Longitudinal analysis of blood markers reveals progressive loss of resilience and predicts human lifespan limit | Nature Communications
- House mouse (Mus musculus) longevity, ageing, and life history - senescence.info
- Naked mole rat may hold the secret to long life - phys.org
- The Hallmarks of Aging: Cell
- Epigenetic clock - Wikipedia
- 2-hydroxybenzylamine - Search Results - PubMed
- Long-term administration of nicotinamide mononucleotide mitigates age-associated physiological decline in mice - nih.gov
- Fisetin is a senotherapeutic that extends health and lifespan - PubMed
- Senolytics reduce coronavirus-related mortality in old mice | Science
- COVID-FISETIN: Pilot in SARS-CoV-2 of Fisetin to Alleviate Dysfunction and Inflammation - ClinicalTrials.gov
PICTURE THIS: You’re sitting inside and feeling drained before you’ve even done anything productive. You’re frustrated. Your body is sore for no reason and you’ve got to get out of this physical and mental funk. The way to improve your health is actually pretty simple...And it’s all through JOY and smiling.
Yes. You read that correctly.
It’s a widely accepted belief that living happily and joyfully can vastly improve your quality of life, but there’s also scientific proof that JOY and smiling can do wonders for your overall health.
Today, I’m sharing four ways JOY and smiling can have a positive impact on your health!
Starting With Your Brain
Your brain is a complex organ made up of multiple lobes and cortexes, all working together to help you function through daily life.
According to Dr. Samuel at Columbia University Medical Center, two parts of your brain specifically work together to produce responses to emotions and emotions to respond to stimuli.
The frontal lobe supervises what emotion you are experiencing at any point in time while the thalamus sends signals to execute how your body must respond to the emotion you are feeling.
The hormones serotonin and dopamine are essential in stimulating happiness as a mood, and these two parts of the brain working together trigger the release of these hormones. When your brain perceives something that brings you JOY or causes you to smile, the lobes recognize it and, in a sense, wake your body up in more ways than just emotionally because you are reacting to something positive.
All of Your Hormones
The hormones mentioned above, as well as many other hormones contained in the human body, all correlate to an emotion or a functioning part of the body.
The happy hormones are the ones you want to make more and more of, as much as you can.
Dr. Melissa Bonasera has endorsed that smiling and using those few facial muscles to smile actually cause a release of dopamine and serotonin. And get this: it works even if the smile is fake.
To get your daily dose of happiness, all you have to do is SMILE!
Smile, Smile, and Smile Again. Did you know it takes twice as many muscles to form a frown as opposed to a smile?
In a study done by Kansas University, participants were assigned stressful tasks whilst keeping small sticks in their mouths to force it to stay in a smiling position.
Another test group was told to keep genuine smiles while doing the tasks, and the third control group was told to do the tasks without smiling.
It was proven repeatedly that both the genuine and fake smilers had a lower heart rate and quicker recovery than the nonsmilers. Give your heart a rest and smile whenever you can.
I love smiling so much, I created KEEP SMILING cards that brighten everyone’s day. Check them out here.
How to Get More Deep Sleep
Deep sleep, also referred to as slow wave sleep (SWS), is one of four stages of sleep (light, deep, REM and wake) that you spend time in each night. It is known as the “physically restorative stage of sleep and is of great importance for anyone looking to perform at their best on a daily basis.
We’ll briefly explore what you can do to get more deep sleep, including which behaviors we’ve found help people increase time spent in this highly beneficial sleep stage.
Deep sleep is when your body restores itself physically. The vast majority of human growth hormone (95 percent) is actually produced at this time. Something many people don’t realize is that you don’t actually get stronger at the gym or when you’re exercising. Your muscles break down while you’re working out, then they are built back up again during deep sleep. Getting enough deep sleep is essential for maximizing potential gains from your day.
Additionally, deep sleep helps strengthen your immune system, regenerate cells to repair bone and tissue, stimulate blood flow to muscles, and balance your metabolism and blood sugar levels.
Improving your deep sleep: Any efforts you can make to improve your overall sleep behavior will tend to benefit your deep sleep as well. The most basic thing to do is simply spend more time in bed. There are practical tips and useful suggestions from the National Sleep Foundation.
In general, deep sleep usually consists of 15–25 percent of most adults’ total time asleep. Interestingly enough, when you sleep in their own bed (as opposed to somewhere else), on average you get 15 additional minutes of total sleep, with three minutes of that (20 percent) being deep sleep.
Some sleep-promoting behaviors specifically boost deep sleep at a higher-than-expected ratio when compared to overall sleep time:
- Blue-light blocking glasses before bed. Opinions vary, but it may be worth putting them on up to three hours before bed.
- Ear plugs while sleeping.
- Breathwork to relieve stress, either during the day or prior to sleep.
- Steam room and sauna, with the dry heat of a sauna correlating with the greater proportional increase in deep sleep.
- More Plants in Your diet. This is obviously a more significant lifestyle choice, but often people average two additional minutes of sleep, with half of that being deep sleep. Here are some (now obvious) Deep Sleep Inhibitors Stress. feeling stressed averages eight fewer minutes of sleep and one minute less of deep sleep.
- Screen device in bed. Use of a screened device in bed corresponds with a one-minute decrease in total sleep and deep sleep.
Shared bed. Although people average 12 more minutes of sleep per night when they share a bed with another person, they actually lose one minute of deep sleep. This doesn’t come as a surprise though; noises and movements from your partner in bed may often diminish your sleep quality.
Other Organ Systems
Any reaction from your circulatory system is dependent on your emotions and JOY is certainly the cause of the more pleasant ones, such as beautiful butterflies in your stomach or your face flushing with excitement.
Our body feels good and even better when we experience these feelings from JOY.
When you are joyful, your breathing comes easier and smoother, your digestion is better, and overall, everything works better inside of you.
The Tools To Good Health Are Inside You
You have the tools to lead yourself to good health and a beautifully abundant life! Those tools are right there inside of you. All you have to do is prescribe yourself 1000cc of JOY and smiling and then enjoy the difference it makes.
Got 55 seconds? You can become a JOY Generator in less than a minute with this video: Joy Generator Video
As COVID-19 ravages the countryside, we have garnered a new understanding of how this disease preys on a weakened immune system. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now tracking the top three conditions linked to the virus: diabetes mellitus, chronic lung disease and cardiovascular disease.1 Each is linked to vitamin D deficiency.
Former CDC Chief, Dr. Tom Friedan was recently quoted on Fox News affirming, “Vitamin D supplementation reduces the risk of respiratory infection2, regulates cytokine production3 and can limit the risk of other viruses4 such as influenza. A respiratory infection can result in cytokine storms5—a vicious cycle in which our inflammatory cells damage organs throughout the body— which increase mortality for those with COVID-19.” Dr. JoAnn Manson, Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School6 states in a video presentation on Medscape, “There is emerging and growing evidence that vitamin D status may be relevant to the risk of developing COVID-19 infection and to the severity of the disease,” adding, “Vitamin D has an immune modulating effect and can lower inflammation.”
Sadly, we are also seeing evidence of health care disparity among African Americans who, in an analysis conducted by the Washington Post7, are contracting and dying of the disease at a higher rate. The Post analysis shows that counties that are majority-black have three times the rate of infections and almost six times the rate of deaths as counties where white residents are in the majority. In Michigan, African Americans, who represent 14 percent of the population, account for more than 33 percent of cases and 40 percent of deaths. Similar statistics are mirrored in Chicago where 70 percent of COVID-19 related deaths were black, a rate six times higher than that of white residents. It is bears noting that vitamin D deficiency is more prevalent among African Americans than other Americans and, in North America, most young, healthy blacks do not achieve what scientists consider an optimal blood serum level, defined as 30 ng/ml by the Institutes of Medicine at any time of year.8
The CDC has acknowledged that the data suggests health disparities, including underlying health conditions, access to health care, and living and work conditions, make the African American population particularly vulnerable9. According to their analysis of COVID-19 deaths for New York, where race and ethnicity data were available, the death rate among Black/African American persons was 92.3 deaths per 100,000 population, and 74.3 for Hispanic/Latino persons; figures substantially higher than that of white (45.2) or Asian (34.5) persons. Which takes us back to vitamin D.
There is a sound body of research on the health and immune system benefits of vitamin D and a flurry of new reports, some of which have not yet been peer reviewed, from scientists and health care providers around the world who are working to connect the dots between vitamin D deficiency and the underlying conditions associated with increased severity or complications of COVID-19. The most recent is a report on the mean levels of vitamin D for 20 European countries. The study concluded low levels of vitamin D were strongly linked to morbidity and mortality associated with COVID-19 in yet another highly vulnerable group, the elderly population.10
Achieving an effective vitamin D level is essential for your overall health and it is a critical component for building your immune system. An estimated 89 percent of U.S. adults overall, and 91 percent of U.S. children and teens, aren’t getting recommended levels of vitamin D.11 What is the recommended level? Forty-eight high-profile vitamin D researchers from around the globe agree that 40–60 ng/ml is the ideal range for vitamin D. If you’ve had your level tested recently it’s likely your test result ranged from 10-30 ng/ml. If you do take vitamin D on a regular basis, you may be higher. Efective supplementation, however, requires you know your serum level.
The primary source of vitamin D is the sun, and we live in a society that no longer tolerates extended time in the sun without applying sunscreen. Stay-at-home orders have complicated getting enough sun and frankly, unlike many nutrients, you can't eat your way to a healthy vitamin D level. Fortunately, vitamin D supplementation is an inexpensive, effective and simple way to resolve deficiencies if taken in the right amounts. Knowing your levels requires testing, and that can be done from the comfort of your own home.
Put the power of prevention in your own hands12.
GrassrootsHealth, offers a simple blood spot test you can have delivered to your home. With your results, you can use the vitamin D calculator to see how much vitamin D you need to take to get achieve that optimal level of 40-60 ng/ml. According to published research, vitamin D levels of 50 ng/ml appear to protect against viral respiratory infection.12 Everyone has just enough time before the winter flu and cold season to monitor and increase your vitamin D level to bolster your immune system.
There is no reason to hesitate. Supplementation is safe. The latest Institute of Medicine report indicates 10,000 IU/day is considered the NOAEL (no observed adverse effect level) and 4,000 IU/day is safe for adults who are age 19 and older. The appropriate intake for you depends on your age, race, lifestyle and latitude of residence. Know your vitamin D level so you can live your future life well.
As fears about the COVID-19 virus continue to increase, there are more discussions about how the human immune system functions and whether natural strategies, such as vitamin C, vitamin D and colloidal silver are actually effective. The following explanation of science between these natural prevention and treatment approaches may help to clarify this discussion.
A. Generally Speaking
Our immune system has evolved over millions of years to successfully defend our cells against all manner of invading microbes, including bacteria, viruses and other pathogens. An important aspect of this defense mechanism is the food we eat. With the first priority being the elimination of these “germs,” or invaders, with certain nutrients that support our immune system. Dr. Bruce Ames established a three-level priority system that ensures we are protected as long as we consume these nutrients that our body has decided are good for our immunity.
The first problem in this regard is that most people do not eat enough of these important nutrients found primarily in fruits and vegetables. A study of 16,000 people by the National Cancer Institute could not find one person with a truly good diet. In fact, most people were deficient in 11 out of 14 nutritional categories. When people say they eat a pretty healthy diet, this is simply not true.
This deficiency becomes more serious when we consider that our nutritional needs increase under certain situations such as:
- Prescription drug use
- Chronic illness
- Alcohol use
- Tobacco use
- Natural loss
This is precisely why chronic illness has increased by over 600 percent in the past 60 years, from 10 to 70 percent of the adult population. It is also why life expectancy will decline for the first time in human history for people born in the year 2000 or later. (New science is now suggesting that this could occur with people born after the year 1980).
The current COVID-19 outbreak can help to sharpen the focus on this nutritional crisis.B. Three natural strategies for the COVID-19 virus are Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Colloidal Silver
1. Vitamin C—The science behind vitamin C began in 1912 when it was discovered. Then, in 1928, it was isolated, and in 1933 it became the first vitamin to be produced chemically. Albert Szent-Gyorgyi discovered ascorbic acid at that time and Linus Pauling became the champion of vitamin C in the 1950’s and beyond. James Lind, a Scottish Naval surgeon, found that citrus fruit prevented scurvy in the 1700’s, so some credit must also be given to him.
Most recently, the Shanghai Government announced that vitamin C is an effective treatment for the COVID-19 virus. Dr. Andrew Saul has found that high doses of vitamin C can also be an effective treatment for a high range of viral infections. Very little has been reported in the main stream media on exactly how this protection happens in our body.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant, which means it has an extra electron to give to toxins and germs in our body that are missing an electron, known as free radical damage. However, viruses are not free radical molecules, they are fragments that are smaller than bacteria and can only survive when they attach to one of our cells. They can then multiply and begin to overwhelm and damage key organs, especially our lungs. However, vitamin C can prevent this damage in the following way:
- Our body’s immune system uses phagocytes, such as white blood cells to capture and engulf harmful microorganisms, such as bacteria and viruses.
- Vitamin C is needed by white blood cells as 50 times the level usually found in our blood stream. Our bodies do not make vitamin C, although there are some theories that indicate they used to make it. We can only get this level of 50 times by consuming vitamin C from foods and supplements. Vitamin C is being moved into our white blood cells continuously to ensure a strong immune response when needed.
- Sugar and vitamin C have a similar chemical structure, which causes sugar to get into the white blood cells by mistake. If the concentration of glucose/sugar in our blood reaches the level of 120 mg/dl, that means white blood cells are filled with too much sugar, instead of vitamin C. This causes a reduced immune response of up to 75 percent for 4–6 hours.
- Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin and moves out of the body within four hours. Therefore, more vitamin C must be consumed, and properly absorbed, in order to build the 50 times concentration needed in our white blood cells.
- If the viral or bacteria challenge is more serious, such as the COVID-19 virus, this replacement process may need to be done sooner, such as every two hours.
- Intravenous infusions of vitamin C can help to improve concentration levels, however, even the IV approach must be repeated in order to create a sustained immune response.
- White blood concentrations of 50 times normal levels from food and supplements can be accomplished by gradually increasing supplement levels from 2,000 mg daily (500 mg every four hours) to 10,000 mg or more daily (1,000 mg every two hours).
- Vitamin C supplements should contain bioflavonoids because this is how the body recognizes it when it is found in fruits and vegetables. In fact, it helps to take vitamin C supplements with the foods they come from in order to ensure that other co-factors can also help in the absorption process.
By increasing vitamin C levels to 50,000 mg to 150,000 mg daily with the proven co-factors, less sugar and the right foods, there is now mounting scientific evidence that vitamin C is effective against all viruses, as well as many cancers.
Ref #1 In one study, asymptomatic adults with the flu were given 1000 mg of vitamin C on an hourly basis for six hours, they then received 1000 mg three times daily until their symptoms stopped. Their flu symptoms were reduced by 85 percent compared to a placebo group. Life Extension, “Disease Prevention and Treatment,” 2013, pages 825–6.
Ref #2 Based on 30 clinical studies on vitamin C treatment for viruses, such as SARS, Bird flu and Swine flu, the effective dosage of vitamin C can range from 10,000 mg daily to over 100,000 mg daily, primarily via IV treatments. “Coronavirus: Exploring Effective Nutritional Treatments.” Andrew W. Saul, Orthomolecular News Service; January 30, 2020.
2. Vitamin D3
Vitamin D3 is proven to have anti-viral capabilities. Our bodies can make Vitamin D3 by way of exposure to the ultraviolet rays of the sun, which helps to convert cholesterol into vitamin D. The body can make as much as 20,000 IU of vitamin D with exposure to sizable sections of our skin. However, there is also the risk of overexposure to the sun, resulting in skin damage, and even skin cancer. In the northern climate zones, it is often very difficult to get enough sunshine to produce sufficient levels of vitamin D3.
Vitamin D can also be found in many foods, such as salmon, herring, sardines, cod liver oil, eggs and dairy products. For people who eat vitamin D rich foods on a regular basis and have some exposure to the sun, it makes it possible to achieve sufficient blood levels of vitamin D in order to protect our body from the flu, as well as many other chronic illnesses, including cancer. The effective level of vitamin D3, based on hundreds of scientific studies, is 50–90 ng/ml. Based on these blood test levels, about 90 percent of the US population is deficient in vitamin D3. (Dr. Joseph Mercola, “Top 5 signs of Vitamin D deficiency,” Jan 01, 2019).
This level of deficiency is extremely dangerous since vitamin D helps to regular over 2000 of our genes related to chronic illness. Over 80 percent of all genetic material consists of on and off switches for disease, including viral infections and cancer. When people have sufficient levels of vitamin D3 in their blood, the risks of contracting many cancers, including breast cancer and prostate cancer, are lowered by 70–80 percent.
Vitamin D3 also exerts a direct influence on our immune system by helping to produce an antibiotic protein called cathelicidin, which is known to kill viruses, bacteria, fungi and parasites. Some studies have reported significant prevention benefits by consuming only 1200 IU of vitamin D3 daily. Dr. John Cunnel recommends taking 50,000 IU daily for the first five days after initial viral infection symptoms occur, and 5,000- 10,000 IU daily as a maintenance dose.
Ref #1 In one double-blind placebo controlled study, the treatment group consumed 2,000 IU of vitamin D3 during the cold and flu season, while the control group consumed a placebo. The vitamin D3 group had a 58 percent reduced risk of the flu. Vitamin D3 helps fend off flu, asthma attacks—American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, March 10, 2010.
Ref #2 In another placebo-controlled study, school children were given 1200 IU of vitamin D3 daily and experienced 51 percent reduced flu occurrence compared to the control group. Life Extension “Disease Prevention and Treatment,” 2013 page 825.
Why did vitamin D3 not work for 100 percent of the people? The following explanation may help to explain this:
- Some participants in the vitamin D3 group may have eaten a less healthy diet, including more sugar.
- Some vitamin D3 group members may have had absorption difficulties related to genetic or biochemical challenges.
- Some vitamin D3 group participants may have had less exposure to the sun.
3. Nanoparticle Colloidal Silver
The history of silver’s use over thousands of years is well documented.
- Hippocrates (460 BC) the Father of Western Medicine, used silver to heal wounds and control infections.
- Herodotus (484 BC) describes how the King of Persia used silver to prevent illness.
- Alexander I of Russia used silver lined drinking vessels to sanitize water during the Napoleon Wars.
- Paracelsus (1493) “Father of Toxicology” used silver as medicine.
- Raulin (1869) observed that Aspergillus niger would not grow in silver vessels. (Aspergillus niger is black fungus/black mold)
- Dr. William Halsted, Chief Surgeon, John’s Hopkins Medical School (1880’s) used silver in operations and infectious wounds.
- Henry Brooks (1910) found that colloidal silver killed germs.
- GA Kruise (1928) used silver to disinfect water in swimming pools.
- 1900—1940 silver was the main antibiotic used in medicine.
- Dr. Larry C. Ford, UCLA Medical School, (1986) studied 650 pathogens and found they were all killed when exposed to colloidal silver.
- Currently many hospitals use silver to treat infected cuts and wounds, as well as bacterial infections known as the wasting disease.
About 80 years ago, antibiotics (man-made) were discovered and began to take the place of silver. This approach has been effective for many decades. However, bacteria have been gradually mutating to build resistance to these synthetic antibiotics. Each year at least two million people in the United States become infected with bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics, causing over 23,000 deaths. Silver is now coming to the rescue in this battle against the so called “super bugs.”1
Ref #1 In a study published in 2013 (Collins, et al. 2013, Boston University) it was found that combining silver with antibiotics made the antibiotics 1,000 times more sensitive and effective.
Silver has a wide spectrum of impact to kill pathogens, bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites.
- Silver is missing a single electron in the outer shell. When it comes into contact with any pathogen, it will steal an electron, which ruptures the pathogen’s cell membrane, causing death. This mechanism of action allows silver to avoid the resistance experienced by man-made antibiotics.
- Silver also suffocates a virus, preventing access to oxygen, which the virus needs to stay alive. Silver also bonds to the DNA of the virus, thus preventing it from multiplying.
A special form of silver, known as Nanoparticle Silver has proven to be even more effective than other types traditionally used.
Ref #2 “Silver Kills Viruses,” Journal of Nanotechnology, October 18, 2009. University of Texas and University of Mexico.
C. Guidelines for the use of supplements
The three nutritional supplements featured in this article on the prevention and treatment of viral infections, including the COVID-19 virus, are not the only supplements needed by our immune system. There are several more that are also important. A few more of the key ones will be added now to help ensure the optimization of the supplements already mentioned.
1. Zinc—One of the first symptoms experienced by most people with the COVID-19 virus is throat irritation accompanied by a cough. Zinc lozenges can be very effective at killing the virus at this stage, because it has not yet begun to multiple very quickly. Zinc is an antioxidant with proven ability to weaken bacteria and viruses. Sometimes these lozenges include vitamin C and elderberry, which also have antiviral effectiveness.
2. Time to act—At this early stage of the infection, it doesn’t matter which bacteria or virus is involved, it is time to introduce the three products mentioned in this article. If vitamin C, vitamin D, and silver can be introduced early enough they will push the pathogen back and give our immune system a change to identify the invader and create the appropriate immune response.
3. Key foods to add—As was previously mentioned, any supplement works better if it is taken with the foods that it comes from. In the case of vitamins C and D this includes fruits, vegetables and omega 3 fish. These foods have co-factors that help to increase the absorption of the supplements.
4. Chewing our food—Many people do not chew their food good enough, which can cause a serious loss in the nutrients that are created and used by the body. Chewing helps to make the food particles smaller and easier to digest in the stomach and the small intestines. Chewing also causes the release of amylase enzymes, which are needed to begin the digestion process. Many foods should be chewed 20–30 times until they are nearly liquid. Poor chewing can cause the loss of up to 50 percent of the nutrients.
5. Age related nutritional changes—As we age our bodies are programmed to help us to eventually die to make way for the next generation, By the time we are fifty years old our bodies are making 50 percent less digestive enzymes, 50 percent less stomach acid, 50 percent less probiotics and 50 percent less glutathione, our bodies primary antioxidant. Supplementing with these ‘nutrients’ can help to delay this aspect of our aging process, and improve our immune function.
6. The problem with sugar—When we consume too much sugar our immune system is weakened by up to 75 percent for 4–6 hours. Sugar includes added sugar, fruit sugar, simple carbohydrates and alcohol. When fasting glucose levels exceed 85 mg/dl this immune impact begins to occur. When levels reach 129 mg/dl white blood cells are filled with sugar and the immune system is seriously challenged. The ideal sugar intake is no added sugar from pastries or other prepared foods, less than two fruits a day and no alcohol.
7. The rotation factor—Bacteria and viruses seem to have the ability to adapt quickly to whatever is trying to kill it. It can mutate its DBA, and its surface to resist both natural and man-made molecules. Therefore, it helps to rotate the natural products every few hours to confuse the invader and make each strategy more effective. This strategy has helped to keep many people free of colds and flus for over 40 years.
When the conventional medical community says that natural strategies to prevent and treat viral infections do not have good scientific evidence, I don’t think they are looking at all of the evidence that is available. Only two references were provided for each of the three natural products mentioned. However, the medical literature has over 500 references for these three evidence-based strategies. The reader can draw his or her own conclusions about why this science is being avoided.
Infertility is becoming widespread these days but in the early 1900's, families with five children or more were commonplace. A century later, we now have fertility clinics available to women who want to just have one child. Infertility treatment is expensive and painful for couples who often become desperate after years of failed treatments. One common overlooked reason is low DHEA levels. DHEA is short for DeHydroEpiAndrosterone.
This is the "fountain of youth" hormone and it's a natural adrenal hormone which peaks at age 25, then steadily declines as we age. DHEA can be converted into testosterone and estrogen. Less DHEA means less of these sex hormones. Blood or saliva tests are available to gauge DHEA levels which must be in balance with other adrenal hormones, especially cortisol. High cortisol will cause you to hold on to belly fat.
Cortisol goes up in response to stress. Remember, these two are supposed to be in balance, like a see-saw. So you can see where I'm going with this. Cortisol climbs up and up in many women given the fast paced 21st century non-stop information overload, lack of sleep, caffeine, work-related stress, financial obligations or relationship stress. When it comes time to have a baby, cortisol could be high while DHEA levels may be seriously tanked! Some signs and symptoms include bad PMS (premenstrual syndrome), fatigue, brain fog, mood swings or high cholesterol.
But wait, the fertility doctor told you it was a low count of eggs! Yes that could be true, it's technically termed "Low Functional Ovarian Reserve" or LFOR, which could occur from aging ovaries. At puberty, you may have had 250,000 to 500,000 eggs, but by age 37 perhaps there are 25,000 eggs, and by the time you hit menopause you may have less than 1,000 eggs. If you have LFOR, a specialist in this field will often complement in-vitro fertilization (IVF) with DHEA supplements and/or testosterone medications. According to a recent study published in the Journal of Ovarian Research research supports it. Female participants received 75 mg of DHEA for three consecutive menstrual cycles prior to IVF experiences. Those who received DHEA had more embryos leading to more successful pregnancies. But don't supplement with DHEA by yourself, dosing is dependent on many factors, especially genes which I study every day.
Your response and metabolism of DHEA is dependent on your personal genetic variants meaning supplementation can be good or bad depending on your genes. Cellular and animal studies show that SNPs in any of the following genes affect your metabolism of DHEA: Aromatase, steroid 5?-reductase, sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG), fragile X mental retardation protein and breast cancer type 1 (BRCA1 gene) can affect levels of androgens in women. Short of screening yourself for all potential genetic variants, I think it's better for you to just do hormonal assessments to see if you have low DHEA or low testosterone.
I've been a pharmacist for 25 years now. Let's face, I know the good, the bad and the ugly drugs. I know we need some of them, and I know that others are not useful, or worse, they are harmful. So today I've decided to share the best remedies that help from head to toe:
Headaches- Taking butterbur (Petasites hybridus) at a dose of 75mg twice daily helps reduce the frequency and intensity of migraines. You can take all the triptan drugs you want (ie Imitrex, Zomig or others) but these drugs usually just reduce pain, sometimes they abort a headache. The butterbur may slash the number of attacks in half. This is HUGE if you have to hold down a job or take care of kiddos. I discussed butterbur and dozens of other solutions my book, Headache Free.
Hypothyroidism- It's impossible to have healthy thyroid function without selenium. Not only will it hinder your ability to make thyroid hormone, it will also stifle your ability to use the hormone inside the cell. There's more about selenium, iodine, B12 and ashwagandha at my website where I archive other articles on thyroid health.
Heart Failure- Niacin (vitamin B3) was found to reduce heart attack and stroke risk in a 2010 study published in the Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Doses vary tremendously, so please do nothing until you have your physician's approval. Niacin causes vasodilation (opens vessels) which reduces arterial pressure. I would be remiss if I didn't mention CoQ10 while discussing the heart or heart failure. CoQ10 also lowers blood pressure. I like about 100 to 200 mg daily but again, please always ask your doctor what's right for you.
Digestive disorders- My number one go-to supplement is probiotics. These improve digestion and support a healthy immune system and mood. Digestive enzymes break down the food you eat into absorbable molecules. For heartburn, I recommend slippery elm or marshmallow root. As for nausea and vomiting, ginger tea is gentle and popular. It's a mild blood thinner though, so be careful. And finally peppermint supplements can help with irritable bowel syndrome. The value of peppermint has been discussed many times, even in the British Medical Journal in 2008.
Bone loss- We all know about calcium. But did you know without enough magnesium, vitamin D or K2, you don't even incorporate the calcium into your bones?! So keep in mind the best bone-building supplements contain key minerals, you don't just push one like calcium all by itself. Natural strontium is another over-the-counter mineral used for bone integrity.
Painful knees- Glucosamine sulfate promotes cartilage formation. Collagen is another supplement that reduces pain in the knee joint of osteoarthritis sufferers. A 2012 study in the Annals of Rheumatic Disease found that losing weight helped reduce the amount of cartilage loss while increasing proteoglycan content (squishiness).
Toenail fungus- Apply essential oil of tea tree, and eliminate all sugars. You should also be checked for diabetes if you have a lot of toenail fungus.
Many of you take bisphosphonate drugs for bone loss and you write to me with complaints. Lawyers handle cases now due to the reports of catastrophic reactions like osteonecrosis or femur fractures. It's a terrible irony.
Here's another idea. Nobiletin. This is different than strontium which I've written about before. Nobiletin is a powerful "polymethoxylated" flavonoid that comes from the white stringy fiber and peel of citrus fruits (termed "pith"). You probably spit that out, throw it away or put it in your compost pile don't you? Tangerines and Mandarin oranges have awesome amounts of nobiletin, however other citrus rinds such as oranges, lemons, and grapefruit also contain nobiletin.
Nobiletin has been researched extensively over the last 10 to 15 years. It positively impacts cholesterol and reduces inflammation. Great news for those struggling with atherosclerosis and heart disease, or those of you supported on statin cholesterol drugs. Nobiletin also blocks the NF kappaB pathway which induces pain. Nobiletin has anti-cancer activity, confers brain protection and improved symptoms of Alzheimer's in an animal model. Since I'm already on a tangent, I'll also tell you that adolescents and adults dealing with acne may benefit by nobiletin because it blocks sebum production. Now, let me circle back to your skeleton.
Bone loss in humans occurs as the result of one of two things. Either your bone cells fail to make new bone, or you break down old bone too quickly. There needs to be a steady balance: Discard old bone, make new bone, discard old bone, make new bone. You probably didn't realize your bones are not solid, they are dynamic throughout your lifetime.
Two major players affect the process of bone building. One is inflammation and the other is estrogen. Chronic low grade inflammation and/or too little estrogen contribute to osteoporosis.
Research published in the Journal of Pharmacological Science showed very promising evidence of nobiletin on bone health. Scientists used rodents that had their ovaries removed (which causes estrogen deficiency). Nobiletin was given, and stopped the progression of osteoporosis. Not only that, it significantly restored bone mass in severely osteroporotic critters!
How you wonder? This natural citrus derived antioxidant suppressed pathways responsible for inflammation, namely the COX2, NF-kappa B, and prostaglandin pathways. Just amazing when you think about the potential harm done by bisphosphonate drugs given by conventional physicians. By no means am I saying an orange a day will keep the hip fracture away! But regular consumption of citrus fruits or pith-derived supplements might help, and can usually be taken with certain medications (not all). Ask doc if it's okay for you, and look online or at health food stores nationwide. It's sold as Sytrinol, or as "citrus bioflavonoids" and I want you to be real careful because some of the products contain "naringen" which comes from grapefruit and this compound can dangerously spike your blood levels of medications. My point is self-treatment with natural dietary supplements -even wonderful ones- may not be right for you. Find yourself a holistic-minded practitioner to ask.
Are you worried about painful cold sores? They are highly contagious. If you kiss someone with a cold sore, or drink from their cup, you could get it too. I don't personally get them, so last week, I inwardly freaked out when the woman who was giving me a much-needed manicure had two large blisters on her lips. This incident made me wonder what I would do if I had these painful sores, and how can I help you with them.
Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV) which belongs to a large family of herpes pathogens which cause chicken pox, shingles or keratitis (can cause corneal blindness). Millions of folks carry herpes viruses, and the cold sores in particular are not only embarrassing, but painful too. Oral herpes causes cold sores on the lips, inside the roof of your mouth or on your gums. Genital herpes causes lesions where the sun don't shine. Either way, ouch!
You can get it if someone touches their sore, then you; you can get it sharing utensils or kissing and making out. Once inside your body, your immune system jumps to it and hopefully it's just a single episode. If your immune system is sluggish, you're in for a lifelong battle with frequent outbreaks. The frequency is impacted by your diet, lifestyle and immune strength (which is dependent on having healthy intestinal flora).
Running yourself into the ground with chronic stress or worry can activate the virus and cause lesions. Pulling all-nighters, eating candy bars, drinking alcohol, smoking, eating white flour goodies and junk food can increase risk. Ingesting foods you are intolerant to, or being deficient in probiotics can increase those flare-ups. Diets high in arginine are thought to activate herpes so avoid avoid all nuts, cashews, chocolate, cereal, lentils and sunflower seeds.
Antiviral drugs like acyclovir or Valtrex are commonly used to treat HSV infections. Unfortunately, there are increasing problems with drug resistance, similar to the problem with antibiotics and superbugs. If you do take the antiviral drug and use them long term, often there are plenty of side effects and potential damage to the kidneys and liver. I'm passionate about natural remedies, so here's a few to ponder:
Lemon balm. I'd make a tea out of this, and drink it. Let the herb steep (not boil) for about 15 minutes then drink. I'd also apply it to your sore with a cotton pad. You can cool the tea first to make it feel better upon application.
Curcumin. It's well known for antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial power but it also fights HSV which means it could help you reduce the frequency and severity of your infection. We have a study to show that. Supplement, or try applying a mini-poultice to your lip sore by mixing turmeric spice with just enough water to form a paste. For extra effect, dump a little curcumin powder from your capsule into the mixture.
Lavender and myrrh. Buy both of those and combine them, apply to the sore. Dilute if it stings.
For more natural remedies, come to my website, www.SuzyCohen.com and sign up for my newsletter. You'll get the longer version of this article with more pain-relieving tips.
Have you ever had a sore throat, been stung by a bee, or twisted your ankle? Do you have arthritis, back pain or headaches? Whenever you are in pain, even post-surgical pain, your body makes compounds in response to the injury which cause temporary redness, heat, swelling, and pain. Then naturally produced enzymes in your body eat up these inflammatory compounds, and that is when you notice the swelling goes down, the pain is relieved and the redness or stiffness recedes.
One second ago, an enzyme in your body called superoxide dismutase (SOD) just chased out a cancer-causing toxin that your cell accidentally spawned. You make all sorts of enzymes, and what's cool is that you can also buy certain enzymes as a dietary supplement, including SOD. Lactose is an enzyme that chews up milk sugars, helping some people to tolerate milk. Bromelain, derived from pineapples, helps with allergies and helps people post-surgically. It might even reduce scarring if taken soon enough. People who take acid blockers could benefit from papain, an enzyme derived from papaya fruit that works nicely with your stomach's pH range.
Proteolytic enzymes another type of enzyme. They chew up proteins and help with digestion. I think they're great for chronic pain syndromes. They help dissolve fibrin deposits which helps bruising. As a teenager (way back in the 1980's) we played a game called Pac Man. Remember?(Please tell me you remember). This popular arcade game included a Pac-Man which traveled a maze and gobbled up ghosts. I was a monster at Pac-Man in my hey day! Proteolytic enzymes work in the same way, they just gobble up debris, as opposed to ghosts.
With less debris, there is improved circulation. That means more oxygen and healing nutrients to the site of injury. As a pharmacist, I recommend you reach for proteolytic enzymes before you NSAIDs such as acetaminophen, naproxen or ibuprofen. Why? Because they are temporary and they have side effects. It's the equivalent of applying a bandage, and while most of you fair out well, the unlucky few experience diarrhea, nausea, headaches, dizziness, bleeding ulcers or heaven forbid, kidney damage. Besides, if you mask your pain with medicine, but continue to operate as normal, you increase your risk of permanent damage.
A German paper studied proteolytic enzymes in 100 athletes. The results were shocking. More than 75 percent said the enzyme treatment was favorable and no side effects were reported! So incredible were the results that the German government sent millions of enzyme capsules to the Olympics to help their athletes heal quicker.
Enzymes are a necessity to life, just like oxygen, food, clean water and shelter. (Some may argue that chocolate should be included as well).
For chronic pain syndromes, as opposed to digestive issues, I recommend that you take your proteolytic enzyme supplement on an empty stomach. This increases the 'Pac-Man' effect by up to 40 percent. While these supplements are generally well-tolerated, I occasionally hear of allergies, rashes and digestive upset.
You're methylating right now! This means you're turning folate (vitamin B9) from your food, into something else called SAMe. It's the process called "methylation" and SAMe is your body's head honcho, the CEO if you will!
SAMe stands for S-adenosylmethionine and drives hundreds of chemical reactions in your body. If you ate a salad for lunch, you're turning that folate into SAMe as we speak. Well, let's hope because SAMe helps you get rid of poisons. The biggest mistake you could make is thinking that methylation problems don't apply to you because you don't have the gene mutation, what we call the genetic snp (pronounced "snip"). Nothing could be further from the truth. As a pharmacist, and a Functional Medicine practitioner, I assure you that your medicine has the capacity to mess up your methylation! Then poisons back up.
Don't think you make poisons in your body because you eat well and exercise? Wrong. Your cells churn poisons out as metabolic waste products probably a million times a minute! You better hope and pray your methylation pathway is up to snuff because if you don't methylate, toxic by-products build up all over your body. This equates to pain, depression, inflammation, elevated homocysteine, cognitive dysfunction, depression, higher risk for neural tube defects and much more discomfort. If you have the genetic snp it's a one-two punch for health problems galore.
So in summary, medications hinder your methylation pathway, whether or not you have a snp. These are the primary offenders:
Cholestyramine. This is a bile acid sequestrate used for reducing cholesterol as well as reducing Herxheimer (die-off) reactions. It is a drug mugger of folate and fat-soluble vitamins like vitamin D, A, E and K. Remember, no folate, no methylation!
Birth control or hormonal replacement drugs with estrogen. these drugs are known drug muggers of magnesium, B6 and B2 (riboflavin); that puts the breaks on methylation. Started 'The Pill' recently, and now you feel down in the dumps? This could be why.
Proton Pump Inhibitors (Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, others). Lowering natural acid production in the stomach reduces levels of magnesium, and critical B vitamins. Snp or not, your body simply cannot conduct methylation adequate levels of these nutrients!
Antibiotics like amoxicillin, sulfamethoxazole, doxycycline and dozens more. Antibiotics kill your intestinal microflora (what you call your probiotics). Without the friendly gut flora, you cannot produce vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin). You also cannot activate riboflavin or folate so therefore, your methylation is blocked.
Ibuprofen. This is a drug mugger of folate, so it blocks methylation directly by stealing your folate.
Blood pressure pills like ACE inhibitors. These drugs (enalapril, lisinopril, etc) cause added zinc excretion. You need zinc to conduct methylation.
Nitrous oxide. Been to the dentist lately? If you got NO gas, then no methylation took place for awhile!
There are hundreds of other medicines that hinder your ability to methylate, snp or not! You may not have your genetic details or tests yet, so here are clues to poor methylation: Nerve pain, numbness or tingling, chronic fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, depression, mood swings, attention problems, cervical dysplasia, miscarriage, brain fog, weakness and lots of allergies.
If you would like a full PDF of this article please email us.
In 2009 Dr. Mark Hyman was testifying to the US Senate's Health Committee with his colleagues Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Andrew Weil. At the conclusion of the session Dr. Hyman summarized the group's testimony with this very telling quote:
healthcare crisis if you just continue
to do the wrong things better."
Dr. Hyman was pointing to the fact that allopathic medicine treats the symptoms of chronic disease while functional medicine treats the root cause of the disease. There are over 40,000 clinical studies that support the conclusion that functional medicine is safer, more effective and less costly than allopathic medicine, and yet very little movement in that direction has occurred in recent years. Dr. David Eddy confirmed this problem with his report on the lack of effectiveness of allopathic medicine published in BusinessWeek Magazine in 2005 in an article entitled "Medical Guesswork". This article pointed to the fact that conventional medicine only has good evidence to support 20-25% of everything they do. The rest is "Medical Guesswork", which is becoming costlier and often causes additional health problems with dangerous side- effects. The past ten months of experience have only exacerbated this already bad situation. The lack of adequate treatment protocols for the COVID-19 virus has pushed the healthcare system to the breaking point. The following headlines help to illustrate the severity of this healthcare crisis.
"Profit over people, cost over care: America's broker healthcare exposed by virus."
"Only 12 percent of American adults are metabolically healthy, study finds."
"If Americans were healthier, we could have been better prepared for this pandemic."
Americans are not very healthy, which is why over seventy percent of adults have one and often two chronic illnesses. Poor nutrition is the number one problem and this is the reason why we have one of the highest COVIC-19 infection rates in the world. In one dramatic example the National Cancer Institute survey 16, 633 people from age two to age 80 and could not find one person with a truly healthy diet. In fact, a vast majority of people were deficient in 11 out of 14 nutritional categories.4 This is further proof for the findings from the studies done by the University of North Carolina and Stanford University Medical School. The strength of our immune system is directly related to this COVID-19 pandemic, and this is the best place to begin an examination on how each person can begin to improve their own immune system.
Understanding the immune system
The COVID-19 virus has drawn attention to our immune system, but most people still do not understand it very well. The following brief primer might help to expand that understanding and perhaps even encourage more people to take steps to improve this system in order to be protected against future viruses, as well as chronic illnesses such as cancer and Alzheimer's.
- Macrophages- These relatively long cells help to both catch and attack various pathogens that enter the body.
- Neutrophils- These relatively short-lived cells form the first line of defense against an infection that kill bacteria, and then die, forming pus.
- Dendritic cells- These are the watch dogs of the immune system that direct T-cells and B-cells to target areas as needed.
- T-cells- These cells develop in the bone marrow and mature in the thymus. They help to make antibodies to attack endangered cells.
- B-cells- These cells develop and mature in bone marrow and make proteins called antibodies, that fight viruses and bacteria.
- Mast cells and basophils- These cells produce histamines that help the immune system to fight allergens.
- Natural killer (NK) cells- These are rapid-response cells that attack viruses as well as pre-cancerous and cancerous cells.
- Acquired immune system- This group of cells is responsible for evaluating complex viral and cancerous challenges and developing long-term strategies of attack.5
Where do these special immune cells come from?
There are many sources for the raw material necessary to make these special immune cells. Here are some of them:
- Glutathione and Super Oxide Dismutase- These are the body's in-house antioxidants. they decline with age and require assistance with supplements after age 40.
- Enzymes and stem cells- These cellular helpers preform many metabolic functions and also decline with age and need supplemental assistance to remain strong.
- Vitamin C- This powerful antioxidants helps to make glutathione, interferon (an anti-viral) and has been proven effective again many viruses, including polio and viral pneumonia.
- Vitamin D- This vitamin controls over 2,000 chronic illness genetic expressions and helps to produce cathelicidin (an anti-viral). It also has a long and strong track record for the prevention and treatment of most viruses and many forms of cancer.
- White blood cells- Many of the special immune cells are also called white blood cells and they are strengthened by nutrients, herbs and foods such as vitamin A, vitamin E, Vitamin C, selenium, zinc, astragulus, Olive Leaf Extract, garlic, curcumin, quercetin, alpha lipoic acid, lauricidin, B vitamins and berberine.6,7
How a strong immune system can prevent a viral infection
We are born with viruses already in our body's, five according to one study. Throughout our lives we are exposed to thousands of viruses on a daily basis, but only a few can potentially cause an infection. The rate of infection is usually dependent on the strength of the virus, as well as the strength of a person's immune system. There are several factors that contribute to the strength of a person's immune system.
- Nutrition- Follow the plant-based Mediterranean Diet. Seven to nine veggies and fruits/day.
- Avoid stress with yoga, meditation and deep breathing. Test for cortisol and take vitamin B complex. Vitamin B is depleted by stress.
- Avoid toxins like air pollution, water pollution, chemicals in the home and radiation. Test DNA damage with the 8-OHgD urine test.
- Avoid sugar- Sugar, in any form, can fill white blood cells by mistake if there is not enough vitamin C available, which is needed to strengthen white blood cells. Sugar has a similar molecules structure to vitamin C. Too much sugar in white blood cells can deplete immune strength up to as much as 75%. The GlycoMark test is the best test for sugar levels
- Sleep well- the body re-balances during sleep in a process called homeostasis. Hormones and neurotransmitters are made and toxins are removed. Homocysteine levels (Vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and folate) can measure how well the methylation process is working. This methylation process is crucial to a strong immune system.
- Exercise is important- At least 30-45 minutes of exercise every day will help to strengthen the heart and circulation system, the lungs and the detoxification process.
- Extra supplements to boost immunity- Most people cannot get all the nutrients they need from food. Any doctor who says they can, should be asked for the scientific proof: It does not exist. Most people need a multiple vitamin/mineral, vitamin C, vitamin D3, magnesium, vitamin B complex, zinc and perhaps a green powder drink every day.8,9,10,11
Specific health challenges impacting the immune system
The people most vulnerable to the COVID-19 virus are those with health challenges such as the frail elderly and anyone with an existing chronic illnesses. Even these health challenges can be placed in categories based on the level of immune challenge created. Here are some examples to these levels of challenge. Each health challenge is assigned a risk level to identify the degree of relative risk: Very high, High, Moderate, Still concerned. These relative strength evaluations are based on the authors research and observations.
Very high-risk factors
- Vitamin D3 levels - This nutrient can influence over 2000 genes related to our health, including the risk of cancer, influenza and several other chronic illnesses. (<40ng/ml)
- Intestinal disorders - A vast majority of the nutrients made in our body are created in our intestines (80%). If our intestines are dysfunctional and challenged, then nutrient production will be seriously jeopardized.
- Cancer - This disease is by far the most challenging of all the chronic illnesses. Our immune system must work harder coping with cancer than it does with any other illness.
- Frail elderly people over 65 years of age
- Chronic illness- Includes organs and systems shown to be most vulnerable to the COVID-19 virus such as kidney disease, lung disease, liver disease, diabetes, vascular disease, heart disease and diseases of the brain like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
- Pre-disease conditions- Includes documented cases of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, early on-set dementia and obesity.
- Immune system challenges- This includes the use of prescription medications, which often deplete important nutrients and challenge the liver to breakdown the medication and remove it from the body. Also, low levels of vitamin C, under 400 micromo/L.
- Dietary factor- High sugar intake.
- Sleep levels- Consistent poor sleep patterns can cause serious health challenges.
Still concerned risk factors
- Dietary factors- Includes red meat consumption, dairy consumption, low vegetable consumption, low fruit consumption, high fried food consumption, and high processed food consumption.
- Chewing food- Not chewing food adequately can reduce the level of nutrients assimilated by the body by as much as 50%.
- Lifestyle factors- Includes tobacco use, more than one a day alcohol use, low exercise levels and low social interaction levels.
- Overweight- Even nine pounds overweight produces inflammatory cells in the body.
- Toxin exposure- At work, at home or even eating non-organic foods can create over exposure to toxins. This includes radiation from cell phones, computers etc.
- Stress levels- High daily stress can deplete B vitamins and disrupt cellular health.
- Nutritional supplements- Not taking quality nutritional supplements can create serious nutritional deficiencies since it is virtually impossible to get all of the nutrients needed on a daily basis from food alone.12,13
Long-term cellular damage: A COVID-19 medical crisis
To make matters worse, 60 Minutes reported on November 22, 2020 many COVID patients are continuing to experience serious symptoms and the medical community has no solutions. In fact, there is speculation that many of these COVID "long haulers" may end up with permanent damage to their lungs, brains, kidneys, intestines, hearts and blood vessels. If allopathic medicine has no solution perhaps functional medicine can find the root cause of this cellular damage and find natural strategies to address them. The following article explores the possibilities for such a solution and you will learn there are some very promising treatment options that can be combined into a COVID cellular repair protocol. The initial step in this examination of possible solutions should consider that cellular damage usually occurs in six distinct stages. This helps to explain how cellular healing is possible.
The Six Stages of Cellular Deterioration
Healthy at Work-Sarasota, Florida
Most chronic illness is diagnosed at stage four of this six step disease development process with blood tests that identify high cholesterol, high glucose or high levels of liver enzymes. What nutritional scientists and integrative doctors have found is that most chronic illness actually begins five to ten years before stage four, when cells become stressed. My first experience with this stressed cellular state involved my use of Electro Dermal Screening, which measures the activity of mitochondria in each organ. This stress was clearly present when people drank alcohol, took a prescription medication, were exposed to a toxin or did not eat a healthy diet. These cellular assaults often accumulate to the point where a specific group of cells become weakened and eventually challenged. This has been validated with tests such as the 8-OHgD test for DNA damage, the GlycoMark test for high blood sugar, the C-reactive protein test for inflammation and thermography for the detection of cells that are in the process of developing new blood vessels. Thermography can find 200 cells in a woman's breast with an elevated heat level 8-10 years before a mammogram can see 4 billion cells in a tumor. The GlycoMark test can identify high blood sugar 5-7 years before the A1c test is elevated.
Some cellular assaults occur more quickly such as the toxic impact of mercury, which can begin to cause Alzheimer type symptoms within weeks of exposure, and now the same accelerated cellular assault can be seen in the experience of many COVID-19 "long haulers". This virus is causing serious damage to several organs in the body of people infected with this virus with the potential for this damage to result in chronic illnesses that may result in permanent organ damage, and even death. A solution to this problem is needed sooner rather than later.
The COVID-19 Cellular Repair Program
Several studies have now confirmed that people who become infected with the COVID-19 virus often experience some cellular damage, including people who are asymptomatic. This damage has been shown to occur in tissues in the lungs, the kidneys, the liver, the heart, the brain, the throat, the intestines and nerve cells. This damage is sometimes noticeable due to difficulty smelling, tasting, headaches and difficulty breathing. However, in some cases this damage is not measurable or noticeable. Since the experience with this virus is so new in the world of viral infections, we cannot be certain about how much damage has been done or how long it may take the body to repair this damage by itself. Therefore, it is prudent to assume that damage has occurred and that precautions to repair this damage, with proven cellular repair protocols, should be used. The following suggestions are offered based on the science of cellular repair from damage occuring in other situations such as athletic injuries, disease damage, toxin damage, stress and premature aging.
1. CoEnzyme Q10- This enzyme helps to improve energy production in the mitochondria of our cells and has a proven track record in the repair of cells in the kidneys, liver, heart and brain. It also helps to protect the nucleus of cells, which is one of the most vulnerable and important cellular repair areas in the body. Most chronic illness and premature aging is caused by damage to the DNA in the nucleus of our cells. (Possible dosage 100-200 mg/day as Ubiquinol in soft gel form).
2. Curcumin- It is very difficult to achieve effective cellular repair if there is inflammation in the body. Curcumin has major anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties and is also known to help in the repair of damaged tissue, such as cartilage. Curcumin also boosts brain-derived neurotrophic factor, which has improved brain function in brain related illnesses such as dementia and Alzheimer's. (Possible dosage 500-750 mg/day in formula with BCM-95- in soft gel form).
3. Vitamin C- Vitamin C is a powerful anti-oxidant, that also helps to produce connective tissue in the body, such as collagen. Vitamin C also has a proven track record of helping cells to accelerate the healing process in diseases such as heart disease, cancer and viral infections, as well as helping to keep pathogens under control. Vitamin C helps to strengthen white blood cells, which are crucial to immune function in our body. (Possible dosage 2,000-4,000 mg/day taken 500 mg every three to four hours).
4. Vitamin E- Vitamin E is particularly effective in protecting cell membranes due to its strong anti-oxidant properties. It has a proven track record in the treatment of heart disease, vascular disease and fatty liver disease. By repairing damaged cell membranes vitamin E ensures that cellular repair inside the cells can be done effectively since the membrane regulates both the intake of nutrients and the removal of waste from every cell in the body. (200-400 IU/day as mixed tocopherols in soft gel form).
5. Zinc- Zinc has strong anti-oxidant properties, but this is just one of its many important functions in the cellular repair and replacement process. Zinc picolinate can repair a damaged stomach lining in 30 days. Zinc plays an important role in the cell replication process by also helping with the production of growth hormones and assisting the DNA synthesis process. (30-40 mg/day-ensure 15 to one ration zinc and copper).
6. Vitamin B- All of the B vitamins are important, but in terms of cellular repair and replacement a few of the B vitamins go to the top of the list. Vitamin B6, B12 and folate are methylators, which means they are needed to help convert amino acids into hormones, neurotransmitters and other important biochemicals. Vitamin B1, in the form of benfothiamine, is able to help rebuild the myelin sheath (outer lining) of our nerves. As a co-factor in many cellular functions vitamin B is crucial to all of the cells in key organs such as the brain, heart, liver, kidneys, blood vessels and intestines. As part of the cellular repair process it is important to consume a vitamin B complex and also take additional amounts of vitamin B1 as benfothiamine, B6. B12 and folate. (B-Complex plus extra B6, B12 and folate-look for a homocysteine formula and benfothiamine).
7. Vitamin D3- Vitamin D3 plays many roles in cellular health as an anti-oxidant and anti-viral regulator. More importantly vitamin D3 is the body's master genetic control agent. Vitamin D3 regulates hundreds of genetic on and off switches for the protection and repair of our cells. The strength of vitamin D3 can be illustrated by the power it has prevent cancer at the cellular level, as well as play a major role in the repair of cancer damaged cells as part of cancer treatment programs. It is also vital to the development of healthy bones and teeth. Finally, vitamin D3 plays a major role in helping our cells to communicate with one another to improve our cellular protection and regeneration processes. (Possible dosage 4,000-6,000 IU/day- in liquid or soft get form).
8. Molecular hydrogen- Molecular hydrogen (H2) is the smallest molecule capable of easily penetrating every cell, including cells in the brain. This is very important because H2 helps to increase oxygen delivery to our cells and ensure a balance is maintained in the release of protective cytokines to fight infections. Supplementation with H2 has been shown to improve cellular function in the nervous system, the cardiovascular system, the digestive system, the respiratory system, the urinary system, the reproductive system and the brain. (Possible dosage 2 tablets daily in 10 ounces of water from Quicksilver or Allergy Research Group, drink quickly).
9. Specialized Pro-resolving Mediators (SPM)- SPM is highly concentrated fish oil. Due to its high concentration of lipid mediators, 18-HEPE and 17-HDHA, SPM is able to remodel damaged tissue and return it to normal healthy function. This allows cells to return to a state of balance in order to carry out their functions and responsibilities. SMP can also stimulate enzymatic reactions, which are important to the destruction and removal of pathogens, such as bacteria, fungus and viral infections. Due to these functions, SPM can reduce pain and inflammation as well as help to return cells to their normal healthy function. (Possible dosage two soft gel capsules daily in split doses).
10. Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide (NAD)- NAD is a molecule in the niacin (vitamin B3) family of nutrients that plays a key role in the cellular aging process. Its role is as a coenzyme, or helper molecule, in many biological processes. As our cells go through the normal cell-replacement process, there are a few checkpoints in this cycle where everything must be perfectly aligned to allow for a good new cell to be produced. NAD plays a key role in insuring that all cellular systems are working efficiently in this replacement cycle. If nutrition, sleep, stress, toxins and exercise are all at optimal levels, then having good NAD levels provides the insurance for excellent cellular replacement. This replacement process also occurs when cells have been damaged as is the case with the cells of COVID-19 patients. (Possible dosage 5 mg/day).
11. Modified Citrus Pectin (MCP)- MCP plays a key role in tissue remodeling, which is vital to the repair of damaged tissues after a heart attack, a stroke or a COVID-19 viral infection. There are several benefits to the consumption of MCP in supplement form:
- Removal of heavy metals from the body.
- Removal of harmful plaque in the articles.
- Helps reverse cellular deterioration, which leads to cancer and heart disease.
- Improves kidney function via the reduction of fibroids and inflammatory cells.
- Inhibits the development and growth of cancer cells.
12. Pycnogenol- This supplement comes from French Pine Bark and has been shown to have protective capabilities in several cellular functions including the repair of brain cells after a stroke. It has also been shown to improve kidney flow and function, as well as help to reduce blood clots as an anticoagulant. This is important for COVID-19 patients since blood clots have been found in many parts of the body even after symptoms have been resolved. (Possible dosage 50-100 mg/day).
13. Berberine- This supplement activates the GLUT-4 molecule within each cell to improve the energy production in the cells mitochondria. This increased energy allows cells to optimize the cellular repair process. Berberine also plays a role in the DNA damage repair process. This has been shown to specifically improve damage control in the liver, the pancreas, the arteries and the heart. (Possible dosage 500 mg with the morning meal and 500 mg with the evening meal).
14. Magnesium- Magnesium is the transport agent that delivers glucose and oxygen into the cell to produce energy in the mitochondria. Deficiencies of magnesium have been known to contribute to heart attacks and a number of brain disorders, including depression, anxiety, ADD and ADHD. Magnesium is found in many foods, especially green vegetables, however exercise and cellular repair processes increase the need for this mineral. There are many forms of magnesium and the following doses are recommended:
- Magnesium glycinate 400 mg with the morning meal. For body cells.
- Magnesium threonate 400 mg with the evening meal. For brain cells.
15. Probiotics- These beneficial bacteria are crucial to the development of most nutrients in the intestines. They help to control pathogens that come into the body and they break down food for the nutrients they contain. Probiotics also help to initiate the development of anti-inflammatory and immune function molecules. These beneficial microbiotas can significantly influence molecular mechanisms and pathways that can influence both the prevention and resolution of numerous chronic illnesses, as well the epigenetic expressions that can determine our future health. (Possible dosage: 20 billion live bacteria in a variety of strains at least 10-15 strains; in the morning before breakfast with some yogurt and blueberries for better assimilation).
16. Olive Leaf Extract- Olives are one of the cornerstones of the Mediterranean Diet and have been helping people to be healthier for thousands of years. One of the primary functions of olive leaf extract is to prevent viral infections. However, it has also been shown to improve cardiovascular health, lower blood pressure and protect organs such as the pancreas, liver and the kidneys. Olive Leaf Extract has anti-inflammatory properties and has been proven to repair tissue damage related to kidney disease, upper respiratory illnesses, fatty liver disease and heart disease. (Possible dosage is 500-1,000 mg/day in split doses of 250 mg each dose).
17. Digestive enzymes- As we age our body makes less digestive enzymes, which are needed for the processing of food, metabolic functions and the delivery of nutrients to our cells. By the time we are fifty years old our bodies may be making up to 50% less digestive enzymes then when we were twenty years old. This is part of the body's programmed aging process. Most raw foods have sufficient enzymes to process the nutrients in them, however cooking foods destroys all enzymes. There are over 5,000 enzymes in the body responsible for many functions including the cellular repair and replacement process, as well as helping to kill germs, bacteria, viruses and other pathogens. (Possible dosage: one capsule with each meal, especially cooked meals. Capsules should contain amylase, protease and lipase enzymes with a larger number of amylase because this is what comprises the majority of food being consumed).
18. Omega-3 Fatty Acids- Omega-3 fatty acids are a primary anti-inflammatory nutrient with many proven benefits for the prevention and treatment of chronic illness. One of main benefits is the ability of Omega-3 fatty acids to soften cell membranes, which helps to improve the entry of nutrients and the removal of waste from the cells. Clinical studies have shown benefits to the following chronic illnesses.
- Cardiovascular disease
- Cancer of the breast, colon and prostate.
- Cognitive function including depression, ADHD, dementia and Alzheimer's.
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Childhood allergies
- Cystic fibrosis
- Macular degeneration
There are some cautions with the use of Omega-3 fatty acids including its impact on blood thinning medications. However, for the most part it is safe when used at appropriate dosages. (Possible dosages 900 mg/day of EPA and 600 mg/day of DHA. Double or triple this dosage has been effective in several clinical trials, but should be monitored by a qualified health professional).
In June of 2020 two super athletes that I know contacted me to say that they were experiencing severe symptoms and had tested positive of COVID-19. I forwarded this COVID-19 repair protocol for their consideration. They both indicated that they began to feel better in less than two days and got progressively better over a two week period. At the end of two weeks they both reported they felt completely recovered and were able to resume their athletic training programs at the highest level. The marathon runner reported that his training times had actually improved beyond his best previous times. Here is what he wrote to a doctor who was a fellow marathon runner and had told his story about being a COVID-19 "long hauler" to the Wall Street Journal.
Hello Dr. Weinstein. My name is Marc Wolff. I am from Sarasota, Florida and I read the article in the Wall Street Journal today. I'm not a doctor but I have run the New York City Marathon five times and I experienced COVID in June. After having it I too am a believer that this virus is the real deal! I had lingering symptoms that quite honestly scared the heck out of me. Finally, I reached out to Dr. Charles Bens, my nutritionist of 20 years, who helped me with his "COVID repair protocol". Feel free to disregard this email if you want, but at the least I wanted to reach out to you and let you know and give you his email address. If you would like to contact him and mention my name. I now feel 100% and fantastic. I have used Dr. Bens for 20 years and lived a very healthy life as an avid runner. I wish you and all of your colleagues the best of luck and thank you for all you do. Sincerely, Marc Wolff, CEO, Southern Trust Financial.
Sequential process to repair COVID Long Hauler cellular damage.
This is the recommended sequence for the use of the COVID-19 Repair Protocol. These six steps were used by the two athletes mentioned.
- Reduce the viral presence- Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Olive Leaf Extract, Zinc and Molecular Hydrogen.
- Reduce the inflammation level- Fish oil, Curcumin, Specialized Pro-resolving Mediators.
- Increase cellular energy levels- Magnesium, Berberine and Co-Enzyme Q10.
- Enhance the body's readiness for healing- Eat the Mediterranean Diet, chew food thoroughly, consume digestive enzymes before each meal and take probiotics just before breakfast.
- Stimulate the tissue repair process- Vitamin E, Vitamin B, NAD Pycnogenol, Olive Leaf Extract and Modified Citrus Pectin.
- Sustained cellular replacement- Repeat this protocol for three to six months to ensure that all cells in every organ and system are replaced with healthy cells.
Targeted Nutraceutical Therapeutics for COVID Recovery
General Nutritional Guideline
The optimum eating program for cellular repair and recovery is to eat according to the Mediterranean Diet. This has been proven by the Framingham Heart Study over 30 years with 125,000 participants. This involves eating Omega-3 rich fish, organic poultry, 6 or 7 vegetables, two low-sugar fruits such as apples and blueberries, nuts, seeds, healthy oils such as olive oil, and plenty of pure spring water with a high level of silica, such as Volvic or Fiji water.
Nutraceutical Guidelines (Dosages were provided earlier and recommended blood and urine ranges are listed below)Breakfast
- Digestive enzymes
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin C
- CoEnzyme Q10
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Modified Citrus Pectin
- Digestive enzymes
- Vitamin C
- Molecular Hydrogen water
- Vitamin E
- Modified Citrus Pectin
- Olive leaf extract
- Vitamin B complex
- Magnesium threonate
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D3
- CoEnzyme Q10
- Modified Citrus Pectin
The foods and the nutritional supplements included in this article allow the body to go through its normal cellular repair process. One of the key elements influencing the success of this approach to cellular healing, due to COVID cellular damage, is the timing of the introduction of this protocol. The sooner the repair program is initiated the sooner and more successful the repair and recovery process will be.
COVID Long Haulers Repair Program Measurement
Having a strong immune system is the number one factor in determining if someone will succumb to the coronavirus, cancer or any chronic illness. Not experiencing frequent colds and flu is one possible measure of this strength, but there are better and more scientific way to make this determination. Getting the best blood, urine and cellular energy tests will provide a much more accurate measure of the strength of any person's immune system. Here is a list of some of the best measurement tools for immune system analysis.
1. Omega 3/6 ratio- This blood test measures the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids in the body. Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory while omega 6 is inflammatory. Too much Omega 6 means the body is vulnerable to illnesses such as cancer, flu response and other chronic illnesses. Good ratio 2.1-3.1.
2. Vitamin D3- Vitamin D3 controls hundreds more genetic predispositions than any other nutrient or drug. High levels in the blood are proven to dramatically reduce the risk of cancer and viral infections, including the Coronavirus. Desired levels are 50-90 ng/mL.
3. Vitamin C- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant with the proven ability to prevent and effectively treat many cancers, heart disease and many viruses, including the Coronavirus. Good blood levels are 400 micromol/L.
4. Co-enzyme Q10- CoQ10 increases energy production in the mitochondria of our cells, and provides antioxidant protection for the nucleus of our cells, which contains our DNA. Energy levels are crucial for organs such as the liver, brain, intestines, pancreas, kidneys, lungs and the heart. Diseases such as Parkinson's, cancer, kidney disease and heart disease have been effectively treated. Good level 0.8-1.5 vng/mL.
5. C-reactive protein- CRP is a good measure of inflammation in the body. Inflammation is caused by the presentence of toxins, too much fat in the body, poor nutrition and injuries. It is a warning sign for the development of heart disease, cancer, brain disease and much more. Good level is less than 1mg/L.
6. 8-OHgD- This urine test measures the accumulated oxidative stress and DNA damage in our cells. DNA damage is caused by toxins, viruses and other pathogens. High 8-OHgD levels are an indication that the body is vulnerable to diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Good levels for males 29.6+/-24.5 ng/mg and females 43.9+/- 42.1 ng/mg creatinine.
7. GGT test- The Gamma-Glutamyl Transpeptidase Test is a measure of how well the liver is functioning. The liver is the body's primary detoxification organ. If it is not functioning properly something is wrong, and should be corrected. Normal levels are 0-30 IU/L.
8. GlycoMark- Excess sugar is serious health issue for many Americans. The best measure of sugar's presence and behavior in our body is the GlycoMark test. This test measures all aspects of sugar influence including after meal glucose spikes. A safe level is 10-31 ug/mL.
9. Lymphocytes- Lymphocytes represent up to 40% of the white blood cells in the body, and are crucial to the immune system defense mechanism. Levels increase in the presence of infections, including viral infections. Blood cancer and autoimmune diseases also cause levels of lymphocytes to increase. Normal safe levels are 1000-3000/ml.
10. Homocysteine- This test measures the levels of vitamin B6, B12 and folate in the body. These three nutrients are crucial to the development of hormones and neurotransmitters. Low levels lead to inflammation and the development of many chronic illnesses. Best range 5.0-7.0 mmol/L.
11. RBC Magnesium- Approximately eighty percent of the adult population is deficient in magnesium. Most magnesium tests only consider about one percent of the serum magnesium levels in the body. The RBC Magnesium test is superior because it actually measures about 40% of the total magnesium in our body. The usual range is 4.2-6.8 mg/dL and the optimal level should be at least 6.0-6.5 mg/dL.
12. Galectin 3- This molecule is found in our blood in small amounts. However, an elevation of this molecule can indicate the growing evidence of heart failure, inflammation, and cancer. Galectin 3 is found to be over-expressed on the surface of cancer cells, and actually helps cancer cells to stick to one another. It also circulates in the blood, indicating that cancers are attempting to spread or metastasize. This is also a good test to determine the development of heart disease. Because it can indicate the possibility of multiple diseases, it should not be used alone to measure the presence or the spread of cancer or heart disease. The possible range is 3.2-94.6 ng/mL and ideal range is 11.7-17.8 ng/mL. Anything above 18 ng/mL should be considered a possible movement of cells in the direction of chronic illness, especially heart disease or cancer.
13. Oxygen test- Circulating oxygen can be measured by a finger oxygen meter. Oxygen is crucial to the production of energy in the mitochondria when oxygen and glucose are combined. If oxygen levels are low, then the mitochondria do not produce enough energy and cells are not able to function properly. As the level of oxygen drops, the seriousness of the cellular challenge increases. Circulatory restriction is usually the primary cause of reduced oxygen levels. (Finger meters use a 100-point scale and the desired level is from 96 to 100).
14. Electo Dermal Screening (EDS)- EDS is a measurement of the energy generated in the mitochondria of our cells using acupuncture points that lead to every organ and system in the body. A Vol measurement scale of 1 to 100 determines if cells are stressed, normal or weakened. A score of 55 or above is a stressed organ or system, while a score of 45 or below is a weakened organ or system. Organs or systems that are stressed or weakened can provide an accurate early warning sign before changes are recognized in other diagnostic tools, including blood tests. This early warning time frame may be as much as five to ten years before other tests, which allows progressive health care practitioners an opportunity to utilize natural/non-invasive strategies. Doctors in Germany have been using this evaluation tool for decades with great success. By combining this tool, with some of the other early warning tests in this panel, it is possible that a very accurate health assessment can be provided, leading to a very safe, effective and less costly health care solution.
15. Zinc/copper ratio- The ratio of zinc to copper is more important than the serum concentration of either one of these minerals separately. One of the most common trace-metal imbalances is elevated copper and depressed zinc, which often leads to brain related challenges. When purchasing zinc in supplement form it is important to ensure a ratio of 15 mg of zinc to one mg of copper. (In terms of blood tests the desirable ratio is between 0.70-1.00).
16. Curcumin- It is very difficult to achieve effective cellular repair if there is inflammation in the body. Curcumin has major anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties and is also known to help in the repair of damaged tissue. Curcumin also boosts brain-derived neurotrophic factor, which has improved brain function in brain related illnesses such as dementia and Alzheimer's. (Blood test to use is the one for C-reactive protein that measures inflammation levels).
17. Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide (NAD)- NAD is a molecule in the niacin (vitamin B3) family of nutrients that plays a key role in the cellular aging process. Its role is as a coenzyme or helper molecule in many biological processes. As our cells go through the normal cell replacement process, there are a few checkpoints in this cycle where everything must be perfectly aligned to allow for a health new cell to be produced. NAD plays a key role in insuring that all cellular systems are working efficiently in this replacement cycle. If nutrition, sleep, stress, toxins and exercise are all at optimal levels, then having good NAD levels provides the insurance for excellent cellular replacement. This replacement process also occurs when cells have been damaged as is the case with the cells of COVID-19 patients. (Possible blood plasma level of vitamin B3 are 0.50-8.45 ug/mL)
A final few words about exercise
Exercise plays a crucial role in the effective delivery of nutrients in the body, as well as the functional ability of cells to do their job. When people exercise, the insulin receptors on all cells increase in number and sensitivity. Insulin receptors are responsible for capturing the glucose and insulin traveling together in the blood stream to be taken into cells for energy production. When people do not exercise on a regular basis, these insulin receptors go to sleep and are not able to bring the glucose and insulin into cells. As a result, cells cannot do their jobs well enough and become stressed and weakened. This makes them vulnerable to pathogens such as the COVID-19 virus. This also causes sugar to continue circulating in the body causing oxidative stress and damage to blood vessels and key organs. As a final insult, this circulating sugar can enter the white blood cells, which are a key component of the immune system. This can happen because the white blood cells need vitamin C in them to be strong and do their job at fighting infections. If there is not enough vitamin C in the body, sugar can take its place because sugar and vitamin C have similar molecular structures. If this unfortunate exchange happens, the immune system can be weakened by as much as 75%. The bottom-line message is to ensure everyone gets 30-45 minutes of exercise every day and eats as little sugar as possible.Caution: Please consult your healthcare practitioner regarding the use of any nutritional supplements to ensure they are safe and appropriate for your use.
This is a therapeutic cellular repair program aimed at improved health recovery for patients who have experienced the COVID-19 virus. They are presented, more or less, in sequential order based on importance, although all are valuable components of a cellular repair program. Other key factors include no added sugar beyond fruit, no alcohol, low levels of exercise, low stress, clean air, mineral water and a Mediterranean diet with no red meat.
Initial article references
- Profit over people, cost over care: America's broken healthcare exposed by virus, Amanda Holpuch, The Guardian (online), April 16, 2020.
- Only 12 percent of American adults are metabolically healthy, study finds, University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Health, November 28, 2018.
- If Americans were healthier, we could have been better prepared for this pandemic, Dr. Shebani Sethi Dalai, Stanford University School of Medicine, May 3, 2020.
- Estimating Usual Dietary Intake from National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data Using the National Cancer Institute Method, Kirsten A. Herrick et.al., Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, February 2018.
- How Viruses Work and How to Prevent and Eliminate Them Naturally, Michael Edwards, Organic Lifestyle Magazine (online), October 27, 2014-Updated March 10, 2020,
- How Viruses Work and How to Prevent and Eliminate Them Naturally, Michael Edwards, Organic Lifestyle Magazine (online), October 27, 2014-Updated March 10, 2020,
- Coronavirus: Exploring Effective Nutritional Treatments, Andrew Saul, Orthomolecular News Service, January 30, 2020.
- Prevention and Treatment of Influenza, Influenza like illness, and Common Cold, J Evid Based Comlmentary Altern Med., 2017, Jan;22 (1): 166-174.
- Coronavirus: Exploring Effective Nutritional Treatments, Andrew Saul, Orthomolecular News Service, January 30, 2020.
- The Functional Medicine Approach to COVId-19: Vitus-Specific Nutraceutical and Botanical Agents, Functional Medicine Institute (online), April 2020.
- Critical Care COVID-19 Management Protocol, Paul Marik, MD, Chief of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, November 11, 2020.
- Six Bodily Tissues That can be Regenerated Through Nutrition, Sayer Ji, GreenMedInfo (online), October 1, 2019.
- Baldrige Award for Healthcare: An Overview of Potential Improvements, Charles Bens, Total Health Magazine, March 2010.
Dr. Bens Long-hauler cellular repair program references
- B Vitamins for Repair of Nerve Damage- B Vitamins for Neuropathy and Neuropathic Pain, Geller et al., Vitamin Miner 2017, 6.2.
- Vitamin E for Fatty Liver Disease- Nutrition - Volume 31, Issues 7-8, July August 2015, Pages 923-930.
- Co-enzyme Q10 for Kidney Disease- Singh R.B., et al. Randomized, double blind, placebo controlled trial of coenzyme Q10 in patients with end-stage renal failure. JNatr Environ Med 2003; 13:13-22.
- Curcumin for the Repair of DNA Damage- Curcumin prevents DNA damage and enhances the repair potential in the chronically arsenic-exposed human population in West Bengal, India, European Journal of Cancer Prevention, March 2011- Volume 20-Issue 2, PP 123-131.
- Vitamin C for Disease Prevention and DNA Repair- Two Faces of Vitamin C- Antioxidative and Pro-Oxidative Agent- Nutrients 2020, 12(5), 1501; https://dol.org/10.3390/nu12051501.
- Zinc for the Repair of Cell Membranes and Protection of Cell Replacement Process- Journal of Biological Chemistry, May 29, 2015, 290, 13830-13839.
- Vitamin D for the Prevention of Disease and the Repair of Cellular Damage- Vitamin D Deficiency: Effects of Oxidative Stress, Epigenetics, Gene Regulation, and Aging, Biology, 2019 Jun; 8(2); 30.
- Molecular Hydrogen for Cellular Protection and Repair in the Respiratory System, Brain, Circulatory System, Heart, Liver and Intestines- Molecular Hydrogen: A Preventive and Therapeutic Medical Gas for Various Diseases, Oncotarget, Sep 21, 2017.
- Specific Pro-resolving Mediators for Repair of Cellular Damage in the Lungs, Eyes, Brain, Pancreas and intestines- Resolving Inflammation by using Nutrition Therapy: Roles for Specialized Pro-Resolving Mediators, CurrOpin Cli NutrMeta Care, April 4, 2018.
- Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide (NAD) to Protect the Cellular Repair and Replacement Process in all Organs and Bodily Systems- NAD: The Superstar of Cellular Health, Charles Bens, Ph.D., Total Health Magazine, December 1,2018.
- Modified Citrus Pectin for the repair of Damaged Cells in the Brain, Kidneys, Circulatory System and the Intestinal System- Modified citrus pectin anti-metastatic properties: One bullet, multiple targets, Carbohydr Res., September 28, 2019.
- Pycynogenol for the Repair of Cells in the Brain and the kidneys, as well as the Reduction of Excessive Blood Clotting- Evaluation of the effects of Pycnogenol (French maritime pine bark extract) supplementation on inflammatory biomarkers and nutritional and clinical status in traumatic brain injury patients in an intensive care unit: A randomized clinical trial protocol, Trials, 2020; 21: 162.
- Berberine for Increased Cellular Energy, DNA Damage Repair and Apoptosis- Berberine in Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases: From Mechanisms to Therapeutics, Theranostics, 2019; 9(7): 1923-1951.
- Magnesium for Increased Cellular Energy and DNA Repair in All Cells, Dietary Magnesium and DNA Repair Capacity as Risk Factors for Lung Cancer, Carcinogenesis, 2008 May; 19(5): 949-956.
- Probiotics to Inhibit Pathogen Growth, Induce Mucosal Defense Mechanisms and Tissue Repair Mechanisms, Probiotics or Pro-healers: The Role of Beneficial Bacteria in Tissue Repair, World Repair Regener. 2017 Nov; 25(6): 912-922.
- Olive Leaf Extract for Controlling Pathogen Growth, Inflammation and DNA Damage- Olive Leaf Extract Attenuates Inflammatory Activation and DNA Damage in Human Arterial Endothelial Cells, Front Cardiovasc Med. 2019; 6: 56.
- Enzymes as Key Elements in the Cellular Repair Process- Metabolic Repair Enzymes Control Metabolic Damage in Glycolysis, Review. March 01, 2010, Volume 45, Issue 3, P228-243.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids, National Institutes of Health-Office of Dietary Supplements, last updated October 1, 2020. Consumer fact sheet on Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
- The Importance of Magnesium for the cellular repair process- The Importance of Magnesium in Clinical Healthcare, Scientifica, September 28, 2017.
- Sugars negative impact on the immune system, Effects of Sugar, Salt and Distilled Water on White Blood Cells and Platelet Cells, Journal of Tumor, 2016, Vol 4, No 1.
- The importance of magnesium for cellular energy production, Update on the relationship between magnesium and exercise, September 2006, 19(3): 180-9.
- The process for repairing damaged cells, National Institutes of Health-Cellular Toxicology, ToxTutor education program, August 2018.
Written by: Dr. Charles Bens, Healthy at Work, Sarasota, Florida- July 12, 2020. Updated January 5, 2021. .
"One of the best science based COVID protocols based on Functional Medicine I have seen. The ability to personalize COVID care for our patients based on diagnostic testing is ideal, and Charles Bens COVID protocol offers this ability. Working with an experienced practitioner to oversee care in light of an individual's clinical history is advised, but this offers a science based approach to reduce associated inflammation and assist organ repair, energy metabolism, and immunity to help individuals who want to prevent COVID, reduce damage due to COVID, and/or restore health after COVID. " Ruth Lininger M.D., MPH, Medical Director, Integrative Path, Chapel Hill, NC
"Dr. Bens has developed an excellent cellular repair and recovery protocol for a vast majority of COVID long hauler patients. This science-based strategy may need to be upgraded for patients with a very weak immune system such as the cancer patients that I see every day. For these patient's I would recommend adding hydrogen oxygen inhalation, repurposed prescription medications, customized-compounded flavonoids and injectable peptides. These science-based components add additional organ repair capabilities in highly immune compromised patients". Daniel Thomas, DO, MSc, Integrative Oncologist, Mt. Dora, Fl.
"I received it (Dr. Bens' article- An Emerging Crisis Exposed by the COVID Pandemic") and it's a great article. I do endorse everything you wrote! I don't think I could add anything that would make it better". Dr. Rona has written several books and hundreds of articles on a wide range of chronic illnesses and is recognized as the leading authority in Canada for the promotion of functional and integrative medicine. Zoltan Rona, M.D., MSc, Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, January 15, 2021
A Health Crisis Exposed by the COVID Pandemic-Commentary by Charles Bens, Ph.D.
Editorial Review Board:
Albert G. B. Amoa, MB.Ch.B, Ph.D. (Ghana)
Seth Ayettey, M.B., Ch.B., Ph.D. (Ghana)
llyès Baghli, M.D. (Algeria)
Ian Brighthope, MBBS, FACNEM (Australia)
Gilbert Henri Crussol, D.M.D. (Spain)
Carolyn Dean, M.D.,N.D. (USA)
Ian Dettman, Ph.D. (Australia)
Damien Downing, M.B.B.S., M.R .S.B. (United Kingdom)
Ron Erlich, B.D.S. (Australia)
Hugo Galindo, M.D. (Colombia)
Martin P. Gallagher, M.D.,D.C. (USA)
Michael J. Gonzalez, N.M.D., D.Sc., Ph.D. (Puerto Rico)
William B. Grant, Ph.D. (USA)
Claus Haneke, MD, FACAM (Denmark)
Tonya S. Heyman, M.D. (USA)
Suzanne Humphries, M.D. (USA)
Ron Hunninghake, M.D. (USA)
Bo H. Jonsson, M.D., Ph.D. (Sweden)
Felix I. D. Konotey-Ahulu, MD, FRCP, DTMH (Ghana)
Jeffrey J. Kotulski, D.0. (USA)
Peter H. Lauda, M.D.(Austria)
Thomas Levy, M.D., J.D. (USA)
Alan Lien, Ph.D. (Taiwan)
Homer Lim, M.D. (Philippines)
Stuart Lindsey, Pharm.D. (USA)
Victor A. Marcial-Vega, M.D. (Puerto Rico)
Charles C. Mary, Jr., M.D. (USA)
Mignonne Mary, M.D. (USA)
Jun Matsuyama, M.D., Ph.D. (Japan)
Joseph Mercola, D.O. (USA)
Jorge R. Miranda-Massari, Pharm.D. (Puerto Rico)
Karin Munsterhjelm-Ahumada, M.D. (Finland)
Tahar Naili, M.D. (Algeria)
W. Todd Penbert hy, Ph.D. (USA)
Isabella Akyinbah Quakyi, Ph.D. (Ghana)
Selvam Rengasamy, MBBS, FRCOG (Malaysia)
Jeffrey A. Ruterbusch, 0.0 . (USA)
Gert E. Schuitemaker, Ph.D. (Netherlands)
T.E. Gabriel Stewart, M.B.B.CH.(Ireland)
Thomas L. Taxman, M. D. (USA)
Jagan Nathan Vamanan, M.D. (India)
Garry Vickar, M.D. (USA)
Ken Walker, M.D. (Canada)
Raymond Yuen, MBBS, MMed (Singapore)
Anne Zauderer, D.C. (USA)
As more states decriminalize and legalize marijuana, stoners everywhere are rejoicing. Funding is flowing to the research of what weed enthusiasts have long known to be a safe and beneficial drug, and marijuana sales are finally advancing state and local government programs.
Yet, in many places, governments offer marijuana licenses, or weed cards, through a board of regulators. When do you need to apply for a license of this type, and when can you use cannabis freely?
If Your State Only Has a Medical Marijuana ProgramAs of this writing, only 11 states permit the recreational use of marijuana, and two of them (Maine and Vermont) don't have any regulations for opening recreational dispensaries, meaning users need to grow their own cannabis plants to legally use weed. In contrast, over 33 states have medical marijuana programs, which allow sufferers of various health conditions to buy and use weed legally. If you live in a state like Arkansas, medical dispensaries are your only option - aside from black-market ganja, of course.
In most of these states, you need the recommendation of medical marijuana from a doctor and a diagnosis of a specific ailment that is on the state's list of qualifying conditions. The one exception is Oklahoma, where doctors have the full responsibility of deciding whether a patient's medical condition warrants the use of marijuana for treatment.
If you suffer from a medical condition that qualifies you for your state's medical marijuana program, you shouldn't hesitate to bring the issue up with your regular doctor. Not only will they know more about your personal medical history and the potential advantages and disadvantages of medical weed, but they can also guide you through the license application process.
Conversely, if you don't already have a qualifying medical condition, you might still be able to secure a medical marijuana license through less scrupulous healthcare professionals - but doing so is morally gray. You should decide for yourself whether you are willing to skirt the laws of your state to gain access to a legal weed dispensary.
If You Need Access to Specialized Cannabis ProductsThe differences between a recreational dispensary and a medical dispensary are more than that one requires a special card to enter. Medical marijuana dispensaries function like pharmacies, serving customers one-on-one to ensure they find products that will help them manage their unique conditions.
Because conditions managed with medical marijuana tend to be exceedingly severe - epilepsy, Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, Crohn's, cancer and more - most states permit medical dispensaries to sell more specialized cannabis products. As a result, medical dispensaries have a much different inventory than the recreational dispensary down the street.
If you need exceedingly high-THC or high-CBD weed products, you might need access to a medical marijuana dispensary - which of course requires a license. You might require these products if you suffer from a qualifying condition that is mitigated by high doses of medicinal weed and/or if your tolerance to THC (or CBD) is remarkably high.
If You Are Growing or Selling CannabisThough precise regulations vary from state to state, most states that have legalized weed allow adults above the minimum age to grow a certain number of cannabis plants per household. The same is true for licensed medicinal users; growing a small cannabis crop at home allows you more regular access to the substance that manages your condition. Some states even allow you to dispense small amounts of your homegrown ganja to family and friends, as long as you don't make them pay.
However, if you are growing a large amount of weed with the intention of turning a tidy profit, you do need a license. Because cannabis cannot legally be transported over state line (or else it will incur the wrath of the federal government), each state must maintain enough cannabis cultivation to supply its population of weed users. You can obtain a cultivation license through your state's marijuana regulatory agency, which might be managed by the state health department or the agricultural department.
Similarly, if you want to open a pot shop of your own, you will need to apply for a dispensary license. Often the competition for these licenses is fierce, but many states are introducing social equity programs that give precedence to BIPOC and female business owners in the marijuana space.
If you are an average marijuana user with average marijuana needs in a state with a recreational marijuana program, you don't need to apply for a weed card. However, plenty of people do benefit from exclusive access to medical-grade cannabis products, so licensed programs remain valuable even as weed legislation expands.
Dallas Lavoe Clouatre was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma on 12/25/1951.
Dallas went to school in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, graduating high school as Co-Valedictorian with his twin brother Daniel. When they graduated in 1970, the Clouatre brothers occupied two of the top three academic performance spots in the State of Oklahoma earning both National Merit Scholarships. Dallas attended Stanford University as an undergraduate, majoring in History. He started out as a pre-med major, thus establishing his foundational understanding of biology, chemistry and physiology.
Upon successful completion of his BA degree, he enrolled in graduate school at UC Berkley, studying European Intellectual History. He received his Ph.D. from Berkeley in 1990. Professor Martin Malia, his thesis director, observed that the scope and the scholarship of Dallas’ thesis was so vast and incisive that it could have resulted in three PhDs.
Dallas was the unacknowledged assistant to Professor Malia in writing the mysterious article signed only as “Z” that appeared on the 1990 Op-Ed page of the New York Times. That famous Op-Ed correctly predicted the fall of the Soviet Union despite all of the contrary pronouncements at the time from the US Intelligence Community. (Inasmuch as the excerpt was faxed to the New York Times from Dallas’ Berkeley apartment using Daniel’s fax machine with his name clearly printed at the top of each page, the fact that they did not learn the identity of “Z” until almost a year later when Professor Malia revealed his authorship perhaps serves as a commentary on the investigative powers of that newspaper.)
After Dallas finished his graduate program, he taught history at the University of San Francisco and UC Berkley.
In 1990, a chance meeting with Mrs. Jan Babin, then Sr. VP of Country Life, introduced Dallas to the dietary supplement industry. Her husband, Marvin Babin, hired Dallas to write a booklet on the immune system for his own company. Afterwards, Dallas continued to work occasionally with the Babins and Country Life until 1998.
Dallas was instrumental in bringing (–)-hydroxycitric acid to market in the United States. He first worked with Renaissance Herbs ca. 1993 and then, in 1994, Skip Seroy hired Dallas to work for InterHealth to promote their newly-launched HCA product. Dallas wrote their technical guide for HCA and spent almost a year on PR tours traveling with a Sports Illustrated Cover swimsuit model promoting HCA (1995). After that, Dallas went back to Country Life and created the BioChem line of products with Jan Babin.
Dallas met Jarrow Rogovin at an industry trade show in 1998 and began working with Jarrow Formulas shortly thereafter.
Dallas spent most of his adult life in northern CA, and some in Los Angeles while working with Jarrow Formulas.
In 2011 Dallas moved to Seattle where, along with Daniel, he also served as a Partner of Glykon Technologies Group, LLC, a raw materials vendor. In this capacity, he is listed as an inventor on twenty US patents and patent applications.
As was the tradition of the European intelligentsia, Dallas loved food and cooking and understood that food offered unique insights into culture.
Dallas was a prolific researcher, writer, product formulator and marketer. Among his many professional accomplishments, he was a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition and his paper in Toxicology Letters still serves as the position paper of the World Health Organization regarding the safety of Kava Kava. Dallas worked as an Associate Editor for TotalHealth Magazine for over 15 years, as well as serving on the Editorial Advisory Boards for Nutritional Outlook Magazine and Recent Patents on Cardiovascular Drug Discovery.
In summary, Dallas was a brilliantly intelligent man who truly embodied the term polymath, one who excels in many fields.
He is survived by his brother Daniel.
Dallas Lavoe Clouatre, of blessed memory, may he rest in peace 12/25/1951–7/29/2018
Founder, Jarrow Formulas
According to a recent article in Newsweek Magazine the answer is yes, but I don't think all of the information has been gathered yet. The article is entitled "The Doctor (Watson) Will See You Now" and it generates some interesting concerns. Over 80 percent of illness is preventable and yet we only spend five percent of health dollars on prevention. And, over 60 percent of adults have a chronic disease with healthcare costs slated to reach 100 percent of our GNP by 2065, according to a leading British economist. The current healthcare system is broken and must be improved, but is artificial intelligence by itself going to be the answer?
- First, one of the AI developers is working with the Cleveland Clinic, which could be good if it is the Cleveland Clinic group working on Functional Medicine.
- Secondly, the article admits that diabetes is reversible, but also indicated that it is rarely treated that way. This reminds me of a quote from Dr. Mark Hyman during a Senate Health Committee hearing when he said, "We will not solve the current health care crisis if we just continue to do the wrong things better." Here are a few things Dr. Hyman was referring to:
- We cannot continue to use outdated diagnostic tools that are only able to identify diseases that have already started. This is totally unacceptable when we now have proven tests that can find cells misbehaving five to ten years before a disease begins.
- And, why do we continue to treat the symptoms of illness with drugs that usually don't address the cause of the problem and often create terrible side effects?
Artificial Intelligence platforms can help to improve health and reduce cost, but only if they use Functional Medicine where the platform finds most disease before it starts (80 percent are preventable) and reverses the rest with only safe, effective and less costly protocols based on Functional Medicine. There is such a platform and it has now been shown to reduce cost by over 15 percent per year. This was accomplished by using an artificial intelligence wellness platform with 20,000 employees over a five-year period. If you would like to demo this amazing program, please contact us.
Caring for our selves and finding ways to handle our stresses are clearly important practices for assuring our long-term health. They are definitely key aspects of Preventive Medicine, Along With the right nutrition and exercise programs for our body, getting proper sleep, and maintaining a positive attitude toward our self, others, and the world. Learning the individual lifestyle path that generates health rather than disease is really the finest art of medicine and personal development, and an extremely important process in which to invest. Let's look at ways to protect our body and heart from the negative effects of stress and to create better health.
One of the first steps in stress reduction is an honest inventory of where we are. Ask yourself:
- What is my biggest life challenge now?
- Is anything very out of balance in my life? If so, what is upsetting me?
- Why don't I feel fully relaxed, happy, and able to sleep well?
- What do I need to do to restore balance?
- Is there anything I can do something about?
- Health–how we care for ourselves and the result we hu-manifest,
- Career–what we share with the world and the support that is returned, and
- Relationships–how we give and receive love.
If we can master these three primary areas of life, some might say we're near enlightenment.
One of the sources of stress is inner tension between what we expect of ourselves and what actually happens. Often these expectations are quite unconscious. It's important to identify unspoken expectations or attachments. Sometimes we need to work a little harder to bring reality in line with our expectations— and to really go for our dream.
At other times, we need to develop more detachment to let go of counter-productive thoughts or desires. In this effort, a meditation practice can be very valuable. All the major religions of the world include some type of meditation or prayer. Your practice can be aligned with your spiritual beliefs.
Types of Stress (adapted from the Anti-Stress Program of Staying Healthy with Nutrition textbook)
Stress comes in many forms. For example, many of us are surprised to learn that intense joy is a source of stress, but since it requires more of our body and mind, it genuinely qualifies as stress (with an increased heart rate and the manufacture of certain neurotransmitters, such as adrenaline). Exercise can also be a stressor even though it is great for us. This is because of the repetitive movement in certain areas of the body, and because we create and release more free radicals and toxins into the blood and tissues. This biochemical process can best be handled by being sure you drink enough water and take antioxidant nutrients, such as vitamins A and C. According to researchers on stress, the most optimal combination for vitamin C is to pair it with the bioflavonoid, quercetin.
The various types of stress and some of the factors that contribute to them include:
- Mental—high responsibility; financial or career pressures; working long hours at mental tasks, perfectionism, anxiety, and worry
- Emotional—attitude toward self; issues or imbalances in our relationships; anger, fear, frustration, sadness, betrayal, and bereavement
- Psycho-Spiritual—issues of life goals; spiritual alignment, imbalance, or lack of spiritual nurturing; general state of contentment
- Physical—exercise and physical labor; pregnancy and giving birth; developmental or life changes (adolescence, menopause, and aging)
- Traumatic—infection, injury, burns, surgery, and extreme weather and temperatures
- Biochemical—deficiencies of vitamins, minerals, specific amino acids, protein, or fats and fatty acids; food allergies; genetic errors in metabolism that can result in alcoholism, other addictions, or mental illness
- Toxic—environmental pollutants such as pesticides, cleaning solvents, and other toxins; non-organic foods with additives; and the use of chemicals such as prescription and OTC drugs, in cosmetic and hair products, and overuse/abuse of sugar, alcohol, caffeine, or nicotine
What is Stress?
Please realize that stress is not dictated by situations or incidents themselves; rather, real stress comes from the way we react to the issues of our lives. For stress to negatively influence our health, we must experience something as danger. If we experience a threat as stress, we may go into fight-or-flight mode, which shifts us into the sympathetic (adrenaline) side of our nervous system. That means our body actually prepares to battle or run, i.e. "fight or flight." Our circulation slows and there may be greater muscle tension; our digestion slows down, heart rate goes up, and we begin using up important nutrients. Often immune function is affected—our level of T-cells may even be depressed. And clearly then, we are more prone to become ill or "catch whatever's going around."
Sometimes there's no way around stress. For example, when a child falls on the playground, or we're putting out a fire, our body prepares us for the emergency so we can respond immediately. That's the way it should be as this level of response/reaction allows us to be more alert and ready for action.
But sometimes stress is subtler—and it may be more psychological or emotional. When there really is no physical danger, our body may still react as if there is. Then, if there's no physical activity to provide an outlet for the increased internal activity, the response may remain inward and play havoc with our physiology and organs, as well as with our emotions and our mind. At that point, we run the risk of exhausting the adrenal glands and flooding our body with metabolic toxins, such as damaging free radicals (associated with the aging process and diseases such as heart disease and cancer). This example also shows the reason why "a walk to cool down" really is a good idea.
When we're under emotional or mental stress, and still stay in a relaxed mode, we can respond more calmly and experience less emotional and biochemical wear-and-tear. Then our body doesn't shift into full battle mode and begin pouring out the chemical signals that we're in danger and must react. This relaxed approach usually leads to a better outcome as well.
Many anti-stress formulas are based on the B-complex vitamins and vitamin C because these important nutrients are all significantly depleted by stress. In addition, stress-related problems may be compounded by deficiencies resulting from generally poor nutrition. All of the B vitamins are important here—especially pantothenic acid (B5). B5, folic acid, and vitamin C are essential for the functioning of our adrenal glands. The adrenals carry perhaps the greatest load when our body is under stress.
The B-complex vitamins are ideally taken two or three times a day, particularly when we are under a lot of stress. This is especially important if the stress lasts over a period of months— for example from a big project at work or a challenging job, a chronically ill child or parent, unemployment, divorce—any of the life events that tend to deplete us over time. It's best to take the B-vitamins before dark so that we don't become over-stimulated when it's time to wind down and relax. I do suggest more minerals in the evening, as they tend to help with relaxation, especially a calcium and magnesium supplement. However, most vitamins and minerals are best assimilated if they're taken with a meal.
Note: Prolonged stress or lack of sleep can lead to a myriad of health problems. If these issues do not resolve with home treatment, you may need to see your doctor or other health professional.
Stress is a funny word. Loaded with the emotional bias of being a “bad” thing, the word stress can be quite deceiving, making it harder to handle than it needs to be. So we will offer a new way to look at it—and very effective ways to address it.
As the healing arts grows, it is important to remember that there are four key domains in healing:
- Biochemistry. This includes herbals, nutrition and medications.
- Structural. Including areas such as manipulation, surgery, breathing, exercise, and ergonomics.
- Biophysics. For example, Acupuncture, Chakra work, Yoga, and NAET.
- Mind-Body-Spirit. Understanding how the body is a metaphor for what is occurring at a deeper level. For most illnesses, including anxiety and even cancer, complete healing is unlikely to occur unless this is also attended to.
You will find that healing occurs best when all four of these areas are addressed. No individual healer is likely to have complete expertise in all of these areas. As our new healthcare system evolves, and the current one heads to extinction, it is good to see health practitioners from diverse backgrounds communicating and working together more.
So let's look at how a Comprehensive Medicine approach works when addressing anxiety and stress. I will focus predominantly on mind-body and biochemical aspects, as these are where my expertise is.
Treating Mind-Body Issues
Stress is not inherently good or bad. In fact, stress can be used to force flowers to bloom, and this analogy applies to people as well. The problem is when stress becomes chronic, and is no longer enjoyable. This then contributes to chronic elevation of the stress hormone cortisol, directly triggering anxiety. As the excessive stress becomes chronic, cortisol levels then go too low—ironically also triggering anxiety by causing recurrent bouts of low blood sugar.
A simple way to tell if stress is healthy? Simply check in to see how it feels. If it feels good, it is healthy. What is enjoyable can vary markedly from person to person. For example I enjoyed the stress of skydiving, while for my wife it would feel awful.
A Novel Treatment
The key stress antidote? Check in to see how things feel. This is so important, that I am being purposely redundant. Learn to say NO to things that feel bad. Leave your brain out of it. Our brain is the product of our societal and family training. It simply feeds back to us what we were taught that we should do to make others happy. Our feelings, on the other hand, tap into our own personal authenticity. So choose to focus on, and do, those things that feel good. Once you've determined what feels good, then your mind can figure out how to make it happen.
And yes, it is OK to simply choose to focus on what feels good in life, without being in constant battle mode against things you don't like. Like food choices at a buffet, we don't have to protest for the removal of those foods we don't choose to eat. Simply ignore them and pick those things you like. You will find that the rest will soon stop appearing in your life. This is part of how I suspect “free will” works. Our focus is like the remote control on our TV. What we focus on keeps showing up on our screen. This is why our constant “Wars on…” just seem to create more of what we are attacking.
Is it truly OK to do what feels good? Some will make the argument that “Heroin feels good, and perhaps also smacking that person who makes me angry over the head with a two-byfour.” This is why we add two caveats:
- Don't hurt others.
- Ask yourself “How is that working out for me?”
Doing this, people will find their anxiety is often coming from their choosing what they think they should do over what feels good (i.e. doing what others want, instead of what is authentic to them). Notice if you are constantly feeling, “I should do this, or I should do that.” This is euphemistically called “Shoulding on yourself.” I invite you to change that toxic behavior.
If hyperventilation is present, one will usually have buried feelings that are bubbling to the surface during periods of relative calm. Counseling to help them learn to feel their feelings helps over time. Also, as panic attacks often leave people feeling like they are going to die, understanding that the symptoms are not dangerous helps. Simply being told this may not be enough to reassure you though. You can confirm hyperventilation is the cause by breathing rapidly for up to 30–60 seconds and seeing how it amplifies your symptoms. Unfortunately, this can also precipitate a full-blown panic attack, so be forewarned, and pick a safe time and place to do this test!
My e-book, “Three Steps to Happiness—Healing through Joy,” can help guide you through the mind-body healing process.
Balance The Biochemistry
Begin with ruling out and treating overt issues, including:
- Overactive thyroid. Consider this if your Free T4 thyroid test is even in the upper 20th percentile of the normal range.
- Low progesterone (women). Progesterone is like our body's natural Valium. Consider this if anxiety is worse around menses and ovulation.
- Low testosterone (men). Consider if testosterone levels are in the lower quarter of the normal range.
- Adrenal fatigue—caused by drops in blood sugar. A key tip-off? Irritability and anxiety that triggers sugar cravings and improves after eating.
Also optimize nutrient status, especially magnesium and B vitamins. Instead of blood testing, which is of questionable value here, I simply recommend (for most people—whether or not they have anxiety) a high potency multi powder called the Energy Revitalization System (by Enzymatic Therapy). With this, one drink replaces well over 35 pills, optimizing levels of most nutrients. Also have the person decrease sugar and caffeine intake to see if this helps.
Herbals can also be very helpful. For example, there is a unique extract, which can be as effective as Xanax, but is very safe. This special extract stimulates one of the most abundant neuroreceptors in the body, the cannabinoid receptors. Many of you may recognize this as the marijuana receptor, and in fact many people use cannabis to self-medicate for their anxiety. But what if you could get the benefits without the sedation and side effects?
The good news is that now you can. Recent research showed that a special extract of the roots of the narrow leafed coneflower (Echinacea angustifoliae) was more effective than the tranquilizer Librium, with none of the side effects. It also worked quickly, with effects building with continued use. This is not the same component used for immune enhancement, and isn't found at needed levels in standard Echinacea. It is available though as AnxioCalm (by EuroPharma—20 mg per tablet).
Let's look at a few studies of this unique extract.
A study published in the March 2012 issue of Phytotherapy Research included 33 volunteers. All experienced anxiety, assessed using the validated State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI). The extract decreased STAI scores within three days, an effect that remained stable for the duration of the treatment (seven days) and for the two weeks that followed treatment. There were no dropouts and no side effects.
Another study looked at higher dosages (40 mg 2 x day) in a multi-center, placebo-controlled, double-blind Phase II study involving 26 volunteers diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). Over a three week period, the number of severely anxious patients (HADS-A scores larger than 11) decreased from 11 to zero!
So I begin with two tablets of AnxioCalm 2x day for severe anxiety. After three weeks, the dose can often be dropped to one 20 mg tablet twice a day. It can also simply be used as needed, and serves as an excellent sleep aid.
Other helpful herbals include valerian, passion flower, hops, theanine, and lemon balm. These can be found in a combination called the “Revitalizing Sleep Formula,” which helps anxiety during the day and sleep at night. I personally use both AnxioCalm and the Revitalizing Sleep Formula at night to ensure 8–9 hours of deep sleep.
The smell of lavender oil is also calming, and a small drop on the upper lip, or even having a lavender bouquet in one's room, can be helpful.
Structural And Biophysics
Simply going for regular walks in the sunshine, and doing yoga, tai chi, and meditation can be very helpful. A technique called centering can help people feel that they are in the calm “eye of the cyclone” when panic attacks hit. In addition, it is helpful to explore a technique called Butyko breathing, which can be very helpful for anxiety and hyperventilation.
For PTSD or old emotional traumas, a technique called EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) can give near miraculous benefits in as little as 20 minutes (see EFT.Mercola.com). It may seem odd, but try it and you'll be amazed. Releasing old traumas through a simple “trembling” technique is also helpful, and the person can do it on their own. It is easy and simple instructions can be found in the book Waking the Tiger.By having the entire healing arts toolkit available, and not just using the “medical hammer,” anxiety can now be effectively treated!