As you may know, I don’t believe in drastic detox diets and cleanses or over-the-counter so-called “quick fixes”.
My over 30 years of clinical experience operating two natural health clinics has shown that the healthy effective way to detox your body is to make life-style choices to consistently enjoy more whole foods, less processed ones that contain artificial coloring, flavors, and additives, drastically reduce or eliminate gluten, and avoid nightshades that induce inflammation—the following two recipes will help you do just that!
Detox Smoothie Ingredients
The ingredients in this smoothie are loaded with nutrients, and in turn, help support your body’s major pathways of detoxification; kidneys, liver, lymphatics and skin. The following are some of the researched and reported health benefits of the ingredients:
Green Apple: This particular apple is lower in sugar than the red variety. Apples, in general, help weight loss by making you feel fuller longer as well as a great source of fiber to help “brush” toxic intestinal debris.
Studies show that eating an apple a day may be almost as effective as taking a statin drug at reducing the risk for heart disease. The pectin in apples acts as a prebiotic and may promote the growth of good bacteria in your gut, too! A prebiotic is basically “food” for good health-enhancing bacteria. Pineapple: Rich in antioxidants, this tropical fruit also contains bromelain—a protein-digesting enzyme. It helps break protein down into amino acids—resulting in better digestion. This digestive enzyme has also been reported to help boost immunity and lower inflammation.
Banana: Bananas are a great source of potassium, and potassium-rich diets are known to help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. According to researchers, one 13-year study showed that women who eat bananas two to three times a week have a 33 percent lower risk of developing kidney disease.
Ginger: Ginger is praised for its anti-inflammatory effects and assisting to lower fasting blood sugar levels. It has also shown to speed-up digestion, causing the stomach to empty faster.
Spinach: This leafy green is neutral in flavor when you add it to a smoothie, and studies show it helps prevent oxidative damage in the body. Spinach also contains powerful plant compounds and antioxidants, like lutein and kaempferol, studied for its ability to promote eye health and decrease risk of cancer.
Cilantro: This fresh herb contains a compound called dodecanal that has scientifically shown to contain antibacterial effects specifically against salmonella. It is also reported to combat heavy metal toxicity, which is why it is so commonly added to detox drinks and recipes.
Lime: Limes are loaded with antioxidants and are a great source of vitamin C, which helps boost your immune system! Vitamin C has been shown to increase the production of white blood cells in test tube studies, which may help to protect against infections and disease.
With all of these ingredients, this smoothie is loaded with fiber that will help keep you feeling full and satisfied, without a lethargic or sluggish feeling that can come from eating something less nutritious. I find that when I start my day with a smoothie, I tend to eat less for the rest of the day, too—that’s the goal, right?
Lose Weight the Healthy DETOX Way
Since this detox smoothie is loaded with nutrient-dense, lowcalorie foods, it’s a good choice if you’re detoxifying and also want to lose weight.
The pectin and fiber in apples and in all of the ingredients in this smoothie will help keep you satisfied. AND, if you use it as a meal replacement, you end up eating fewer calories than you normally would, which may also contribute to weight loss.
NOTE: I find that when this replaces my breakfast, other than my beloved coffee, I am sufficiently satisfied and maintain a steady energy (mentally and physically) without needing food until much later in the day.
Those who use this recipe have reported they end up eating only one meal a day and simply some healthy snacks like vegetables, unsweetened yogurt with a natural sweetener like Stevia and maybe some fresh fruit like strawberries, or make enough smoothie to have more later in the day as a snack.
Do not forget that adequate hydration (at least half your body weight in ounces) and a daily full and complete bowel elimination are a MUST, not only for a successful detoxification program but for health, PERIOD!
Dr. Gloria’s DETOX Smoothie
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 0
This Detox Smoothie is loaded with nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables. It tastes great and will leave you feeling full and satisfied!Ingredients
1 cup water (or unsweetened orange or grapefruit juice)
1 green apple
½ cup fresh or frozen pineapple chunks
½ fresh or frozen banana
½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 cup fresh spinach
small handful fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice + slice for serving
Stevia natural sweetener to taste
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve right away...OR drink half, refrigerate and drink the remainder later in the day.
NOTE: If you don’t have a high-speed blender, I recommend blending the spinach, cilantro, and ginger with the water first, to help break them down completely. Then add in the fruit and lime juice and blend again.
Dr. Gloria’s Recipe Notes:
Feel free to make any substitutions you’d like in this recipe. Parsley or wheatgrass juice is a good alternative for cilantro, and frozen mango or papaya works as a good swap for pineapple. If you don’t care for bananas in a smoothie, try using ¼ of an avocado instead to add a wallop of protein, healthy fat and creaminess.
To keep from getting bored with detox recipes, whether soup or green drinks, plan ahead so you can add variety by rotating. If you’re on a special Wholistic Rejuvenation detox program, make a couple recipes ahead of time and vary them every other day.
Dr. Gloria’s Cucumber Avocado Soup (hot or cold)
- 2–3 avocados (peeled & seeded)
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1–2 whole limes (to taste)
- 4–6 TB finely chopped FRESH cilantro (to taste)
- Himalayan Salt & Pepper to taste Directions
- Place all ingredients in a blender until well-blended and creamy.
- You can use as a cold soup like Vichyssoise served with a thin lime wedge or serve hot
Health Benefits of Ingredients
Avocado—High in healthy fats, its health benefits are highly supported by scientific research.
Avocados are jammed with nutrition and contain a wide variety of nutrients, including 20 different vitamins and minerals.
Contained in a single 3.5 ounce (100 gram) serving:
- Vitamin K: 26 % of the RDA.
- Folate: 20 % of the RDA.
- Vitamin C: 17 % of the RDA.
- Potassium: 14 % of the RDA.
- Vitamin B5: 14 % of the RDA.
- Vitamin B6: 13 % of the RDA.
- Vitamin E: 10 % of the RDA.
- AND it contains small amounts of Magnesium, Manganese, Copper, Iron, Zinc, Phosphorous, Vitamin A, B1 (Thiamine), B2 (Riboflavin) and B3 (Niacin).
Nutrition Facts: 160 calories, 2 grams protein, 15 grams healthy fats. Although it contains 9 grams of carbs, 7 of those are fiber so there are only 2 “net” carbs, making this a low-carb friendly plant food. Avocados do not contain any cholesterol or sodium.
Cucumber—Here is a short list of the impressive health benefits:
- Keeps you hydrated. If you’re too busy to drink enough water, munch on the cool cucumber, which is 96 percent water.
- Fights heat—inside and out. Eat cucumber, and your body gets relief from heartburn. Apply cucumber on your skin and get relief from sunburn.
- Flushes out toxins. All that water in cucumber acts as a virtual broom, sweeping waste products out of your system. With regular use, cucumber is known to dissolve kidney stones.
- Lavishes you with vitamins; A, B and C, which boost immunity, give you energy, and keep you radiant.
- Supplies skin-friendly minerals: magnesium, potassium, silicon. That’s why cucumber-based treatments abound in spas.
- Aids in weight loss.
- Cuts cancer. Several studies show its cancer-fighting potential.
- Stabilizes blood pressure. Patients of blood pressure,both high and low, often find that eating cucumber brings balance to healthy levels.
- Helps digestion and high in fiber.
- Smooths hair and nails. Silica, the wonder mineral in cucumber, makes your hair and nails stronger and shinier.
- Keeps kidneys in shape. Cucumber lowers uric acid levels in your body.
- Good for diabetics. Contains a hormone needed by the pancreatic cells for producing insulin.
- Reduces cholesterol via compounds called sterols that help reduce bad cholesterol.
Lime—Packed with vitamin C, a cup of freshly squeezed contains 72.6 milligrams of vitamin C, essential for growth and repair of tissues as well as bones and teeth. Helps produce collagen, a protein that plays a vital role in production of blood vessels, skin, tendons, ligaments and cartilage.
Studies confirm its antibiotic properties as well as being a potent anti-carcinogenic because of its high content of cancerfighting compounds called flavonoids. Contains eight different limonoids, compounds that promote enzyme activity in the liver called glutathione-S-transferase or GST. This liver enzyme detoxifies a variety of cancer-causing chemicals by deactivating harmful substances and turning them into harmless chemicals that are then removed from the body via the urine.
Additionally, it alkalizes the body, which prevents the growth of organisms like viruses, bacteria and fungus.
Cilantro—In healthcare, most often cited as effective for detoxifying heavy metals because it binds to toxic metals and loosen them from the tissues for expulsion via the kidneys. This is especially important for those with mercury exposure. The following are additional documented health benefits:
- May be able to help prevent cardiovascular damage.
- The School of Life Science in Tamil Nadu, India noted, after researching the activity of cilantro leaves and stem, “if used in cuisine, would be a remedy for diabetes” because of its blood-sugar lowering effect.
- Strong antioxidant activity.
- Has shown to have anti-anxiety effects.
- Shown to help improve quality sleep.
- Cilantro seed oil possess antioxidative properties – consumption may decrease oxidative stress.
- Research conducted by The Dental School of Piracicaba in Brazil found cilantro oil to be a new
- natural fungal cleansing formulation.
- Demonstrated activity against several types of harmful organisms.
Enjoy not only the taste but also reaping the health benefits by lowering the body’s overall toxic burden, allowing for wholistic rejuvenation from the inside-out—so you can, “Add LIFE to Your Years, rather than simply adding more years to your life, Naturally.”
A Healthy New Year from our kitchen to yours.
- Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
- Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times
- Reading Mode
Gloria Gilbere, DAHom, PhD
Dr. Gloria Gilbère (CDP, DA Hom, ND, PhD, DSC, EcoErgonomist, Wholistic Rejuvenist, Certified HTMA Practitioner) is Founder/CEO of the Institute for Wholistic Rejuvenation – after 22 years of owning/operating two health clinics in Idaho she relocated her Health Sciences/Research/Cooking Institute division to Cotacachi, Ecuador, S.A.
Her worldwide consulting via phone and Skype continues as does the Institute for Wholistic Rejuvenation in Idaho. Visit her website at www.gloriagilbere.com or call (888.352.8175) to schedule a consultation or register for her post-graduate courses.
NEWS FLASH: Ready to learn more about simple recipes that can give you what I call the Anti-Inflammation Advantage? Download your free 40+ page cookbook The Anti-Inflammation Recipe Sampler at drgloriaskitchen.com/totalhealth/